chapter twenty

jj sat in the sheriff's office quietly looking at his surroundings until the door opened and peterkin walked in. "you're like a little rock in my shoe. i shake my foot, i think i've gotten it out, then dang, there it is again." peterkin dropped a file on the table and looked at jj as he replied, "maybe.. watch where you're steppin'."

"that little rock on the back of my heel makes me want to crush it... unlawful discharge of a firearm. trespass on protected habitat. felony destruction of property. all in the last two weeks. you're on a roll, chief." peterkin said, going into detail. "if you think i'm gonna rat anybody out, you got the wrong idea."

"i know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but i want you to come with me to uncharted territory. the future. how you gonna feel six months from now, sittin' in juvenile prison in wadesboro? i'm sure rosemary booker would have something to say about it. how do you think she'll feel, only being able to communicate with you through glass?" peterkin continued, hitting a soft spot. jj's jaw clenched slightly, not liking that she knew his weaknesses and actually used them against him. he didn't want to go to juvie and he sure as hell didn't want to be able to only talk to rosie from behind glass or sitting at one of those cold metal tables while there are cops watching your every move.

"smart tactic.. but low blow." jj muttered, looking at peterkin with his head tilted down a notch. she shrugged; "well, it seems that this is the only way i can get you to listen. hitting you where it hurts." jj chewed on his lips anxiously, avoiding eye contact and looking at the ground while peterkin put two images on the desk in front of him. "you know these two?"

jj started blankly at the mugshots of the two square groupers, "my question was, do you know these two?" the blonde boy thought over his answer, swallowing harshly, "they... they broke into john b's house, and... then chased us through the marsh. other than that, i have no idea."

"here's a more recent photo," the sheriff said, putting two new photos on the desk. "somebody gaffed them, then used them for chum. whatcha think, bull shark?" jj's stomach lurched at the pictures, bile slightly rising in his throat but tried his best to cough it away.

"here's the bad news, chief. whoever killed these two men is still out there, and i got reason to believe their next target is a friend of yours... john b. you kids don't think you're the only ones after the royal merchant now, do you? and, yeah. i know about that, too."

"okay, sheriff peterkin, i can promise you he's not on it anymore," jj said, blinking rapidly. "so you say. i'm just tryin' to keep him safe. i want you to tell your friend john b to come in and talk to me, and let's see if we can keep you out of wadesboro." sheriff peterkin said, closing her files and walking out of the office angrily.

⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾ ❀ ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

once rosie heard two car doors slam, her eyes snapped open, waiting until she heard the door to jj's room open and close. not even a minute later, she could hear rock music blaring throughout the house, and luke begin to yell at jj. "how you gonna get that money back? by sittin' around doin' nothin'?" rosie's heart broke, but the anger that rose within overpowered the feeling of sadness she had. she was angry at luke and sad for jj, but mostly angry at luke because if he was a better person his son wouldn't be the broken person he is.

rosie stood up quickly and turned to face jj's window. she could see jj pacing back and forth anxiously, and angrily, as his hands clasped over his ears aggressively. luke's yelling could still be heard as rosie tapped on the window lightly.

once jj heard the noise, he spun around, his eyes softening when he saw rosie standing there. she immediately saw his red, and tear stained face, causing her to frown. all she wanted to do was take away that pain because she knew it was the last thing he deserved. a fresh wave of  anger, and sadness, and exhaustion washes over her senses, all she wanted to do was make him feel better... and maybe kill luke. but once again, she knew she wasn't capable of something like that. however, sometimes she wish she was because luke would be her one and only target for being such a shitty human being and for continuously hurting someone she loves.