chapter thirty-nine

arriving in front of the ferry, john b and rosie tried to hide themselves as best as they could so they wouldn't be seen through the car windows. leaving kie, jj, john b and rosie in the car, pope went to go check the schedule for the ferry.

"okay.. okay. alright, no," pope said, walking back to the car. "pope, can you act normal?"

"so, um... okay, so, bad news. the ferry's closed, and there is this," pope informed his friends, handing kie a flier that had a picture of john b and rosie on it. kie's eyes widened, handing it back to jj. "what is that? what is this? what is this?"

jj stared at the paper, "well, john b, rosie, uh.. this is a good framer of the two of you. never seen a cuter picture than this." rosie and john b looked at the poster, seeing the bold 'WANTED' sign– fear pooling in their stomachs.

rosie shut her eyes tightly, she was currently sitting on the floor of the car, trying her best to stay hidden. she couldn't stop thinking about how her life was practically over. "shit. we're so screwed," she said weakly, trying to refrain from letting her voice crack. jj softly raked his fingers through her hair, trying to calm her down even a little.

"okay, so the whole island's lookin' for john b and rosie right now."

kie looked at the pogues with panic-filled eyes, "that's a lot of money."

"congratulations, rosie and john b. you two are now famous." jj chimed in. john b took the reward poster from the blonde boy's hand, silently examining it.

"guys, we got to get to the hms. we need small, no running lights–" kiara started, trying her best to form a plan, or at least spark the beginning of one. "it's at the château, kie," rosie sighed, frowning.

"and i wonder if the cops got the entire place staked out. let me think. oh, yeah. no. they definitely have that place locked down," jj commented. "yeah. copy that."

"okay– let me– let me think. just give me a second.... jj." pope said, seemingly coming up with a plan. "what?" pope turned around to face the blonde. "does your dad still have that boat? the cigarette boat, ..the phantom. the one he used to race."

"maybe," jj responded, looking hesitant about the idea. "you could get right up the coast, no problem," pope said, turning back around in his seat.

"okay, look. the surf's running from three to four..." kiara trailed off, thinking about john b and rosie's chances of actually getting off the island. however, jj's mind raised several red flags, wondering how he would even get the phantom scot-free. "it won't be easy, pope. i don't know where the keys are."

"well, find them," the dark-skinned boy said bluntly, obviously jj's shift in emotion and tone. "i'm thinking," the blonde stressed back. rosie looked up at jj from her position on the floor, placing her hand on his knee softly. he looked at her, fear glazing over his eyes, trying to smile softly for rosie, but failing miserably.

"why is nobody moving forward? what's going on here?" pope asked frantically (and loudly) waving his fingers in the air. rosie's eyes widened at pope's tone, shrinking closer towards the floor. at this moment, she so badly wanted to be invisible. sure, she wished she had the power to be invisible constantly, but this– this was the mother goddess of moments where she wanted to be invisible.

"can you relax? jj, how much weed did you give him?" kie panicked. "did you give him the chill weed or the non-chill, excited weed? there's a difference, jj," rosie chimed in, wondering which pen had been in his pocket when he passed it to pope. jj rushed to get it out of his pocket, "um... looks like the not chill one."

rosie groaned quietly, lowering her head to hit her knee. "shocker," she muttered quietly, pope had been adrenaline-filled for hours. she really wished she had some indica weed to give him because clearly the sativa was not working out for him.