chapter thirty-one

"so they keep money out here?" pope wondered, seeing the unlikelihood of the situation, which rosie could agree on. keeping a stash of money in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere is very suspect. why wouldn't you just buy a safe? 

"that's what she said," jj stated, thinking back to what the pawnbroker said before realizing what he said. he chuckled, "that's what she said," with the usual 'sexual innuendo' tone, making rosie chuckle too. pope looked at the pair with a blank expression. "stop."

"i've never even heard of resurrection drive," sarah pointed out. "that's cause you're rich," jj sassed back slightly. rosie rolled her eyes from beside jj. "jay, you've never even heard of it either," both rosie and kie said at the same time.

"thank you," sarah said, looking at the two girls who sat in the back.

"there's nothing but weeds back here." four of the six pogues looked out the windows. they were definitely scammed but they didn't want to say anything. even though jj saw their expressions, he tried to remain positive. "alright, just 'cause it's just weeds, doesn't mean it's, like..."

a loud siren was heard from behind the twinkie, causing the pogues to turn back in shock. "cops? out here?" jj groaned, "god! are you kidding me?"

"what did we do?" and "why are we getting pulled over?" were both valid questions that sarah and pope asked. they weren't driving recklessly at all. the only thing that would've been a plausible reason that they would get pulled over for was possession of drugs as a minor, afterall it was against the law. but rosie kept thinking how would a cop even tell? like come on, cops were pretty stupid and oblivious in the outer banks. with the exception of sheriff peterkin. rosie liked sheriff peterkin. she always thought of the sheriff as such a witty girlboss.

"stash that," john b said hurriedly, forcing jj to hide the gold in the under the seat compartment. "i hate cops. this is so stupid. i know this guy is just gonna say some stupid shit," rosie huffed.

"did you bring the gun?" jj shook his head, "no. okay? everybody told me to leave it back at the place." rosie, kie and pope visibly sighed in relief. "thank god! please, just everything else in your bag."

the pogues in the back stressed, making sure that nothing incriminating could be found. "he's walking up right now," pope informed everyone, so that they could sit calmly as if they weren't just stressing about if they were carrying drugs or not.

a sudden gun cock noise was heard from right outside john b's window. all the pogues froze immediately. rosie's heart dropped to the pit of her stomach. no fucking way was this happening. she had to start keeping a gun count because she was certain she had never seen so many semi-automatic weapons in such a short period of time.

"why don't i go ahead and see them hands in the air?" the man with the skull mask and rifle threatened. when the pogues just stared back in shock, he yelled. "all y'all's hands up in the air now! you, out of the car! let's go! out of the car! let's go! hurry! let them out!" john b walked slowly to the other side of the car, trying his best to follow instructions so he wouldn't get himself shot or any of the other pogues.

rosie's chest moved in an uneven pattern, her breath starting to shorten as she began to panic. she pressed the fingers on her right hand in the middle of her chest, desperately trying to reduce the feeling of helplessness. kiara and jj both looked at rosie and then at each other, both rushing to hold onto one of rosie's hands.

"hey, rosie. sh. it's okay. it'll be over soon," jj tried to whisper close to her ear so the man with the gun wouldn't hear them. he softly brushed the hair out of her face, putting it behind her ear so her hair could fall along her back. but as much as rosie tried to follow jj's voice, the fake-fucking-cop man was yelling so damn loud. "what are you waitin' on? what are you waitin' on? let them out! all y'all!"