chapter thirty-three

rosie walked along the dark road, holding a flashlight in her hand to make sure she could see where she was going and to make sure passing cars saw her. this would end up being a pretty shitty day (even more so than it was now) if a car hadn't seen her and was driving a little too recklessly.

figuratively speaking, rosie felt lost. her mind was clouded and she didn't even know how to start a single thought about what happened at her mother's house. the effect took an intoxicating toll on her mind.

i mean, her mom and luke were suddenly buddies now? what the hell? it made sense the more she thought about it however she was hoping they would have never crossed paths. but she knew it was only wishful thinking, afterall it was a small island.

her pondering on where to go was short-lived when she saw a big truck stop beside her, pope rolling down the window. "hey, rosie... are you okay? what happened to your arm?" pope asked, seeing the bandage around her lower arm. "huh? ..oh," rosie mumbled in a daze, looking down at her arm.

"are you guys on your way to the château?" rosie asked, ignoring pope's question. the boy raised his brow and nodded, "yea, we just got all the stuff we need. hop in." rosie walked over to the truck as pope reached back and opened the door for her. "thanks, pope," rosie spoke softly, almost suspiciously soft in kiara and pope's mind.

"rosie, are you sure you're alright?" kie asked, looking through the rear view mirror, before starting the car. she only stared straight ahead. "they are both bastards," she said, just above a whisper. pope and kie shared confused expressions, "who, rosie?"

"i mean, it all makes sense now. they are bitter alcoholic, druggies who abuse their children. i don't know why i didn't see this coming. they're so similar. wow," rosie almost laughed at the irony. no wonder jj and rosie had such similar humour, their parents sucked and had similar tendancies. pope and kie looked back at her as she came to her realization. "rosie, who are you talking about?" kie asked again, hoping to snap her out of her haze. rosie finally looked up at the two.

"huh?..oh, um. guess who i saw when i got home. guess who. i bet you won't," rosie laughed bitterly, continuing two seconds later when neither of the two pogues answered. "my mother and luke fucking-maybank doing coke in the living room."

kie and pope were equally shocked, letting their jaws drop. as much as the pairing made sense, it was still a shock. "oh, shit." rosie nodded to their expressions, "yeah. i know. thankfully, i stuck it so hard to luke, though. told him my opinions on him and everything. that little bastard. he didn't like it though. hence the bandage... beer bottle to the arm," rosie explained, holding up her arm.

pope and kie didn't know how to react, both asking if she was okay. she nodded again, "yes, onwards to the château. anywhere that's farther from here."

kie saluted, "okay."

⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾  ❀  ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

as the three pogues got closer to the château, they went over the plan. "we got john b and jj inside the well, and me up top. you, rosie and sarah will be outside transporting," pope revised as they all got out of the truck. both rosie and kie agreed with the plan. "yeah, we got this."

rosie leaned against the truck, staying quiet. as pope and kiara had a little moment, she decided to walk closer to the actual home. suddenly, a plethora of colourful lights turned on, catching all three teens off guard. "what the hell?" rosie wondered aloud, walking towards the backyard.

jj, in a hot tub, surrounded by a bunch of shit he definitely could not afford. please god, tell me he didn't use the 25k, she thought, practically begging the gods but remained silent. she stood still in front of the hot tub, just staring at everything that was so out of place. this was not what the château's backyard was supposed to look like.