Chapter 4

As we arrive at the front door, I inexplicably freeze. Lizz is by my side, trying to get my attention, but it's like I'm in a daze until she pinches me hard, making me yelp. People passing by start whispering, making me turn away quickly.

"Okay, I'm about to be super direct, but snap out of it. It's your first day back, and you're already tearing up. You haven't even made it to math," Lizz nudges me, pulling me inside. I can barely stay steady on my feet. When I finally regain balance, I realize we're by her locker. Lizz hands me a paper, and it's my school schedule. I smile at her, then spot my locker, conveniently next to hers. Just as I start opening it, an oddly familiar voice interrupts, followed by a new one.

"Hey, Lizz. Have you thought about my offer?"

I recognize Tristian's voice. I awkwardly turn to watch the conversation unfold.

"I'm busy," she says coldly.

"Come on, Lizz," Tristian practically begs.

"I'll think about it. By the way, are y'all practicing after school?"

Then this other guy I don't recognize speaks up, "I might go but I'm not sure about practicing." He briefly makes eye contact with me, and I offer a small smile before looking away. Then he asks, "Who's the girl on crutches? Did she get thrown off a Bronc or something?"

Lizz glances at me and says, "She doesn't ride broncs. Her name's Ashlyn."

"So she's the silent rider?" He's curious.

Tristian elbows him, "Jordan."

Jordan responds, "Isn't that what people call her?"

I shut my locker and start walking away, ignoring Lizz's calls. I'm not in the mood to chat. I think I've figured out what Lizz said in the car. The funny thing is, she's the only one who knows I'm not speaking. I push that thought aside and head to the first period. The teacher greets me, indicating I sit by the wall next to a window. I make my way there and take out my English textbook. People begin to filter in and notice me, whispering, but I try to block it out. There are only two seats left, and of course, Jordan sits in the desk right behind me.

Classes zip by, leading up to lunch. Now I need to find somewhere to sit. I hear a familiar voice calling my name. It's Lizz at a table with Tristian, Jordan, a kid named Quinn, and Mark—all rodeo enthusiasts. I join them, sitting next to Lizz. She smiles at me and starts chatting.

"So, there's this horse for sale, a roping horse that looks pretty good. I'm thinking of checking her out."

I shake my head, and Lizz catches my look.

"I know what you're thinking, Ash, but I need a new roping horse. I can't keep using the old man of a horse I have."

I frown at her.

"Don't worry, I won't sell spots."

Jordan laughs, and everyone looks at him. Then he asks, "Who names a horse Spots?"

Lizz gets really mad and fires back, "Who names their roping horse Princess?"

Jordan looks annoyed but doesn't say anything, then turns to me, "So, do you ride?" I nod quickly and look down at the table, hoping to avoid more questions. But he continues, "How many horses do you have? What sports do you compete in? Did you ever win?"

Lizz rolls her eyes and responds, "She has three horses, she's into English sports, not Western anymore, and yes, she's won more times than you've made dumb comments."

Quick as a whip, Jordan responds, "I guess she hasn't won much because I never make stupid comments."

Lizz gives him a stern look and says, "She's won more times than you've lied, and we all know you lie a lot, Mr. Bull rider." I look at Lizz and then at Jordan, who seems furious, but I keep a smirk to myself, looking down at the table to hide it from everyone.