Chapter 16

Jordan gives me a ride back to my house it's around 10 when we get there. No cars are in the driveway which does not surprise me. Jordan is sitting beside me drumming on his steering wheel as if he feels awkward about something but keeps silent.

"Do you want to come inside?" I ask still feeling weird about hearing my own voice again.

"Umm sure" he says a little uncertain.

I get out of the truck and he follows me. I unlock the front door and we walk into the house. My house is set up to where you walk into a little mudroom that leads into the living room which is an open concept to the kitchen. There are two bedrooms downstairs and an office. Upstairs I have my own bathroom and the whole loft to myself. I take off my shoes at the door and grab them to take them upstairs I nod for Jordan to follow and he does. We go upstairs and I could tell he still felt awkward.

"You hungry?" I ask trying to ease the situation. He nods no I make my way to my closet and put my shoes up.

"Your room is clean compared to my sisters." He said laughing a little.

"I didn't know you had a sister." I sounded a little sad remembering my sister was no longer with me.

"I have an older brother and a younger sister. Which by the way I said your name and she freaked out apparently she is a massive stalker of yours." I give him a confused look before he continues "She is showjumper herself. She does the pony division but she loves it and pretty much idolizes you. She wanted to meet you at one of the competitions she went to but you were still in the hospital I guess."

"Yea I missed a qualifying round for the fall circuit." I said reminding myself of that competition that I completely forgot about.

"So you cant qualify at all?" he asked while staring at my wall of ribbons.

"No, I could compete at a couple of competitions next month to try and earn enough points but I'm not planning on trying." He looked at me all confused and was about to say something but I interrupted him. "I haven't sat on a horse since the wreck, my leg probably doesn't even have the strength to sit on my horse to keep me from falling off, also my horse is traumatized by a saddle not even to mention the trailer."

"How do you know about the saddle?" he asked sounding confused.

"Dr. Marshall tried to saddle him with just a strap pad but he freaked out."

"Maybe because it wasn't you saddling him." He said reassuringly.

I don't respond instead I watch him look at all the ribbons, medals, and trophies. His eyes landed on a photo of me and my sister standing on the backs of our horses bareback. We both looked so happy in that photo. My sister's horse Butterscotch was retired last year and she got a two-year-old Quater horse that she named Lightning Speed. Lighting for short they only competed at a couple of competitions before she passed and she had won all of them. She was a barrel racer but that horse could be used for anything western.

My thoughts are broken when I hear the front door open and the sound of quiet footsteps which I automatically know was my mom. I looked from the picture to Jordan who was staring at me and he reached his hand to my cheek and whipped at tear from my cheek I didn't know was there then gave me a small smile.

"Come" I whispered so my mom couldn't hear me talk.

He followed me downstairs where my mom was putting groceries down on the table. She heard me come down and said

"Can you get the rest of the groceries from the car." she paused and looked up and saw Jordan standing behind me. "Oh, I didn't know you had a friend over." She said looking between the two of us to see if there was more to the picture.

Jordan stepped forward and said, "My name is Jordan it's nice to meet you, Mrs. Collins."

"Nice to meet you Jordan." She replied with a smile.

Great now my mom's probably attached.