Bow to the king

Check it out here as well: https://jaderoxx30892.wixsite.com/reallies/post/chapter-41-bow-to-the-king

Ethan's POV

I settled down on the couch, highly alert. Ok that was a lie. I wasn't alert at all. I was yawning continuously. I had to sleep. "You can sleep you know," Jake said to me. "Yeah but someone needs to keep watch," I said. "I can do that," Jake responded. I raised my eyebrows at him, "You sure you want to do that? I mean I can do the first watch. You probably had to deal with some heavy stuff, you could do with some rest." "Well that's true but I am too riled up to sleep. So how about you sleep and I will take the first watch," he replied. I didn't need to be asked twice. I was exhausted. I just didn't want to admit it. "So where's Jade?" I asked. "I told her to sleep as well. She gets drowsy after a bit of drinking," he said. I smirked, "You know her well then." He looked at me with a surprise, "Yeah you catch on some mannerisms when you spend some time together." "How long have you two been together?" I asked. He seemed a little lost in thought, "That's a complicated question." "Why? You don't remember?" I asked. "No no. Its not that. I don't think we've had that conversation yet," he said unsure of his words. "What is that supposed to mean? I thought you guys were like together. I mean you guys look together," I asked. He squinted his eyes as if trying to find the right words, "I suppose we just got together without saying we are together? I guess I never brought it up because I wanted to put some things behind me before talking about us," he said.
"Oh. She didn't bring it up either?" I asked. "I guess she didn't want to ask something that I didn't have answers to," he said. I shrugged, yawning again, "Good luck with that." I probably dozed off minutes later because the next thingI knew was being roughly being tugged to be awake. "Ethan ETHAN WAKE UP." I opened my eyes to see Jade standing next to me. Groggily I said, "What? What's going on? Did I sleep?" "Ethan where is Jake?" She asked. "He must be out checking the area around. He said he would keep the first watch. Relax, he is not a child," I muttered. "Ethan the car is gone, Liam's address is gone and Jake is gone. Still think I should relax?" She snapped. It was like cold water was splashed on my face. Fuck. The idiot had left to meet Liam all on his own.

Jake's POV

I couldn't wait. I was getting extremely impatient. The only way I could think of rattling Zeus was by a surprise visit. I didn't want an audience. I didn't want anyone else. I had to do it alone. Standing outside his house, I watched as he walked aimlessly around, his eyes on his tablet. How does he live with himself? The man I held at the highest echelon, was a fraud. As he moved away from the room, I used the opportunity to sneak it. He still used Nymos' framework for his home security. Bad idea, when your resident hacker knows the ins and out of the system. Or smart. Maybe this was an invitation. Was it a trap? Trap or not, I was here. I looked around the room. Of course he wouldn't leave anything lying around. But if he did it would just say one word - Liar. I heard him speaking on the phone on the other side of the door, "Yes I got the fax about the Bedlam.. Relax I shredded the document...The Bedlam information is at the location... you don't have to worry about it, I take this very seriously." There it was again. Bedlam. Ok focus. The fax machine and the shredder caught my attention. Who uses paper anymore? I looked into the shredder. One man's trash is.... pages of fax? This was so dated. Why would he use fax? Unless... I picked up the shredded papers, stuffed it in a bag and threw it outside the window. I peered down just to make sure where to collect it from later on. I must have been staring for a few seconds as I heard a voice say, "Leaving so soon?" I paused and turned slowly to face him. The first thing I noticed that he was younger than what I had envisioned Zeus to be. The second thing was he didn't seem a bit worried about an intruder in his house, he seemed bored. "I..." I started. "Look while I don't appreciate you breaking into my house but I am intrigued that you could circumvent my security. So how about you tell me what you want? And make it quick," he said. "You know what. How could you do this?" I snapped.
He gauged me for a moment and sighed, "Okay I know you are disappointed that I slept with your girlfriend or wife or sister or hopefully not your mom, but it was consensual and I didn't push her into it. So if you could just leave?" "What? No? I'm Hermes," I said. "Okay. That's cute. Greek humor because I am Greek?" He asked. "Huh? You are Zeus. I used to work for you," I said in confusion. Was he toying with me again? His expression didn't change, "Are you on some sort of a drug? Are you delusional about being one of the Greek Gods?" I glared at him and threw the visiting card at him. He caught it effortlessly and looked through it. "Did Jade put you up for this?" "Funny you say the name of the person you didn't bother helping. Do you know another person like that? Yang, Ethan, Richy, me? Ring a bell?" I yelled. "You have issues. Might I suggest a psychiatrist?" He said calmly. What the hell was going on with him? Was he pretending? Why? A group of people walked in right then. I supposed they were guards. "Sir we heard some yelling.." one of them started. "Great were you waiting for him to murder me?" He snapped. The guards stiffened. The same man spoke up, "Do you want us to call the cops?" "No. I think this man can find his way out, can't you?" he said looking at me. I had no option but to comply. As I started to walk away, he muttered, "For what it's worth I would hate to see you in burn. Sorry my bad. Burn in prison." It was another taunt. I walked out angrily. Frustration seeped through me. What was the point of this? This was not what I expected at all. I walked out and sneakily got to the window where I had thrown the bag and grabbed it.
Devastated, I drove back to the house to see Ethan and Jade waiting for me. "I know I was an idiot," I said walking in to their angry stares. "Not the word I would use," Ethan said. "Do you realize that how disastrous this could have been?" Jade asked me. "Yeah. I really don't need the lecture," I said. I was still angry. "Real mature. Great that you have been acting like a juvenile idiot when we were worried like hell," she said angrily. "Well it was my issue and I can handle it. I don't need people to babysit me," I said. "Ok what are we doing here then?" She asked. "I don't know. It wouldn't be such a mess if you had stayed home," I said. "It wouldn't be such a mess if you had stayed home and not be on this quest for finding Zeus," she snapped. "I told you. This was something I had to do," I replied. "Doesn't mean you have to do it alone Jake," she said softly. I shut my eyes. In hindsight, maybe this was one of the worst decisions that I made. "Ok trying to be the voice of reason, but you shouldn't really do that Jake. The man is shady. And I get he was your mentor or something but the people he is involved with, are dangerous. We have to be careful," Ethan said. I sighed, "Yup I guess you are right. I am sorry." "So what happened?" Jade asked. I told them. "That's weird?" Ethan asked. "Is he playing at something?" Jade asked. "I don't know, but he did mention the Bedlam," I said. Ethan's ears perked up, "What did he say?" "He said he had a document with information about the Bedlam," I said. "And?" Jade asked. "And I wonder if you guys are up for some puzzles," I said removing the bag with the shredded paper.