Part 22

Continued.

Karl had arrived at his home again.
He stared back up at the manor towering over him.
Fear washed over him, like a tidal wave. Something about the situation just felt... off.

The door was already open as he toddled inside.
The blood stain on the floor from his Mother's body was still smeared on the floor. As he entered the kitchen, blood pooled by the kitchen sink, where his father was murdered.
Strangely though, their bodies were gone.

The monsters probably ate them.

He explored the house as if he had never been there before. It felt empty, and cold.

He went into his parents room.
Memories flashed in his mind of himself when he was younger, cuddling up to his mother, listening to her read as he fell asleep in her arms.

A lump formed in his throat. He tried to push away tears, but they fell anyways, slowly rolling down his puffy cheeks.
His eyes darted to his father's side of the bed. On the bedside table, his father's hat sat there. It looked rugged and dusty, having been untouched for weeks, likely even months.

Silently walking over, he stifled his sobs as he picked up the hat.
Mama..
Papa...

Aless...

He placed the hat on his head, and headed for the door.
Before he closed the door, he looked behind him one final time. His eyes went to the family painting hung in front of his parent's bed.

Sadness weighed heavy on his little heart as he took a bedsheet and covered the painting. It made him too sad to look at it.
He missed his family so much.
If only I didn't take father's tools, then maybe none of this would have happened.

He closed the door behind him. With the keys in his hand, given to him by Miranda, he locked it.

Never again would he go in that room.
Never again to feel the pain he did once when he realized that everything had been stolen from him.

///

Years passed by, and he grew older.
Blossoming into his teenage years, he became more moody. He was constantly arguing with Alcina about unimportant things.
He was rude, rowdy, and slowly stopped caring much about the people around him.
Especially since Miranda kept treating them like children.

She used them for whatever she wanted. It was almost as if they were like servants, doing this and that for her, and her only.

The thought evoked sparks of anger in him.
She said that she loved them, but it seemed to be a lie. Especially considering Moreau. Although nobody cared much about him or even liked him, Miranda especially could have cared less about him.
So many coincidences almost seemed strange, too.
Almost as if they were controlled, expected by Miranda.

It seemed like she put Karl and Alcina on a pedestal,
and he was determined to find out why.

One day while doing some errands (of course Miranda had asked of him to do) he snuck inside the lab.

Many papers covered the desks and tables throughout the room. It stunk of that stupid parasite, the one that granted him those powers of his.

The nosy teen scrambled to find as much information as he could, but everything seemed to be about the Cadou. Nothing of importance, which, frankly, annoyed the shit out of him.

Suddenly he saw something gleaming on one of the drawers in the corners. Curiously but as carefully and quietly as he could as not to get caught, he walked over to it. The gleaming item was covered by papers, so he pushed them away.
Bingo.

He grinned as he peered down at what he saw. Four notebooks, decorated with each Lord's crest, were lined up by each other.
He picked up the one that had his crest on it, and started flipping the pages.

To his horror, it was about him.
Each and every tiny detail about him, starting from the day he was taken up until now.
It had, in Miranda's writing, documentation of what she did every time she had experimented on him when he was locked up in his cell. Many of the things she had injected and put in him had fancy words that he didn't care to remember.

But the most shocking part was about his... kidnapping.
It had accurate details about that day, explaining everything down to the second the lycan smashed through the damned window.

He took a step back. Then another.
He skimmed through everyone else's. It was the same thing, detailing the experiments, the day they were taken.

And worst of all, they were considered failed experiments.
"...unsuitable vessel for Eva?? Who the hell is Eva?!?" He whispered shakily.
He heard footsteps.
Quickly, he shoved the piles of paper back onto the notebooks.

He couldn't believe it.
Was this.. was this all planned??
That.. that BITCH!!
"Karl?? What is taking so long?" Miranda's voice rang out from the hall.

///

"N-nothing, mother, I've got it." He gasped.
He grabbed what he needed and raced out of the room.

Giving it to Miranda, she raised an eyebrow.
"Why so startled, my child?" She asked.
"Oh.. uh.. I don't know." He shrugged, pulling a cigar  and lighter out of his pocket, to make it look like everything was fine.
Mother Miranda frowned.

"Since when did you start smoking cigars?" She grumbled. Smoke stunk up the entire room as he exhaled.

"Since Duke started selling 'em. Why?" He scoffed.
She turned back around.
"No reason."
Exhaling a cloud of smoke, the teen gritted his teeth.
I will get my revenge, you bitch. You killed my family.
You took everything from me, turned me into a failed experiment.
And now it's my turn.