Part 23

2001, Back to now.

Aless stood there.

She didn't know what to say, what to do.

"Baby, please..." Karl started

Aless took a step back.
She buried her face in her head, and started shaking it.
"I.. I can't.." She murmured.
It felt like everything came crashing down on her.
The man she loved was abused by Mother Miranda.
How can this be?? How could she have done that??

"I need.. time.." Aless sighed.
"Of course buttercup. Do you need to sit down?" He said, wrapping his arms around her.
"I'm sure it's a lot. But honey, I have my reasons, this is why Miranda needs to die. If I don't kill her, she'll keep doing this. At this rate, she'll kill everyone in the village looking for a 'suitable vessel' for her daughter."

Aless pushed him away.

"N-no.. you don't understand.."

He looked at her with deep concern etched in his face.
"What's the matter, ba-"

Aless looked up at him, sorrow and anxiety in her eyes.
"I need time away from you. From this. I.. I don't.. understand.. I need. I can't... I-I just.."
She couldn't get the words out.
Suddenly, she bolted past him.

"Aless, Aless, NO!"
Aless ran. She ran far away from the manor.
Karl..
Miranda..

She ran through the forest, stifling sobs.
She believed that what she was doing, had to be done.

///

Donna sipped her tea.
"Oooh!!! That dress is looking real pretty, Donna!!" Angie squealed.
Donna smiled.
"Thank you Angie." She replied sweetly, letting Angie hop up onto the table to get a closer look at the  white dress she was fixing.

The doorbell rang.
"I'll get it. You stay put, all right?" Donna smiled. Angie nodded as Donna headed to the door.

Upon opening the door, an exhausted Aless stood there, leaning on the wall. Her cheeks were red from wiping so many tears away.
"Oh, god, I'm going to faint." Aless panted.

"Goodness gracious! Aless, what happened?" Donna exclaimed with worry. She helped Aless into the house, setting her down on the couch.

"Aless!! Are you okay?" Angie cooed sadly.

Donna wrapped a blanket around Aless's shoulders. Although it was early spring, the cold decided to make a final comeback on that day.

Donna quickly rushed over with some hot tea, which Aless gulped down fast, ignoring the stingy burn of the heat.
Donna sat down beside her, rubbing her back.

"What happened?" Donna murmured, comforting Aless.
Aless shook her head "I.. I can't tell you.." she gasped.

Donna wrapped her arms around the woman, shushing her as her sobs started back up again.
"Shh.. Shh.. everything will be okay.." she whispered.

When Aless fell asleep in Donna's arms, exhausted from running and crying, Donna laid her down on the couch, quickly checking Aless's arm. It was almost fully healed now, the stitches were ready to be taken out.

I'll do it when she awakens, she thought to herself.

Angie stayed by Aless's side all night, worried.
"When will she wake up? Is she okay?? Is she hurt???" The doll would ask, her beady doll eyes gleaming with sorrow.

///

When Aless awoke early the next morning, Donna had been awake already, making food.

"She's awake! She's awake!!" Angie gasped, jumping up and down.
"Now, now, let's let her rest. She had quite the hard day yesterday." Donna scolded. She gave Aless a cup of steaming hot herbal tea.