Chapter three: 504

As Kou makes his way down the line of address numbers. 

498

499

500

501

502

503 

504.

He stops.

He clears his throat trying to make himself presentable and gentleman-like as possible. As he goes to ring the buzzer he is interrupted by a sobbing coming from inside.

"Yashiro Sama I know it's hard but we need as much information as possible."

He stops in place. 

"S-she" more hiccups stumble out. 

"Yashiro sama its ok take a deep breath"

"I’m sorry, I'm sorry I know it been a week"

"Yashiro Sama, tell us was there anyone who could’ve had any personal grudges against your daughter?” 

Kou stood listening still puzzled,  his grip on the items in his hand loosening.

More sobbing continued.

"N-Nene's such a sweet girl, she never had anyone hurt, she always was participating in activities such as gardening and was very happy"

The person took another deep breath.

"She has a very good friend from the Akane family who was worried about where Nene was."

Another few hicks.

"I told her that Nene was just sick as I couldn't bear to tell her or have any of Nene's friends that she- she.."

Another breath.

"She was MURDERED." 

Kou stayed still as a statue. 

He processed those words for a moment as they echoed through his head.

Murdered.

Murdered….

In slow motion the container of soup falls to the ground, the container bursts open and the hot liquid explodes splattering everywhere. 

"We're sorry Yashiro sama- in that case we will need to do an autopsy and do our best to find the murderer-"

"NO YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY DAUGHTER'S BODY! SHE IS NOT JUST A VICTIM, SHE IS MY CHILD! I WON'T LET ANYONE ELSE PUT THEIR HANDS ON MY BABY!"

The get well card flutters down like a leaf from an autumn tree. It makes contact with the brothy liquid.

"...we understand, we'll send all detectives"

His heart rate quickens as he feels himself shake. He then makes a beeline for home failing to stop his legs until he is in his room and shuts the door. 

He sits breathless. Still processing the words ...dead…

He sits on his bed, not even bothering to change out of his uniform, curling up looking at pictures on the wall next to a dusty polaroid camera.

Not again..

He failed…

He promised to protect her…

And he failed...

Millions of thoughts ran through him.

The echoes of the entire conversation.