Prologue

July 14, 2005

       It was late in the afternoon, under a willow tree. The sun blazing, hot wind passing by slowly. Fourteen year old Manjiro Sano sat on the grass, his back against the rough tree bark. A curtain of willow leaves draped lazily, shielding him and his childhood friend turned lover from the heat.

        Under the shade, in the coolness of the shadows only shallow breathing can be heard. Her head lay against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. Mikey felt her move, shifting and lifting herself away from him.

      He opened his eyes and found her face to face with him. Copper brown hair and a white ribbon on her head, quite glassy lead grey eyes, open wide staring back at him.

      "Close your eyes." She whispered softly. He did. He sensed her moving closer, her warmth growing warmer. Her soft cotton candy scent drew closer, tickling his nose with nostalgia and familiarity.

        The next thing he knew was the feeling of soft, warm lips against his own. Her lips were a little chapped with a lingering taste of strawberry ice cream. He didn't open his eyes though and found himself kissing her back. Slowly, softly and passionately and unforgettable. Then their lips parted.

      She smiled, gentle and warm and lay her forehead against his. "That was my first kiss." She told him. Caressing her cheek with his left hand, thumb grazing her jaw and then her lower lip, "Mine too." He answered, smiling.

      She took a deep breath and moved her head, laying it on his shoulder. A big, fat tear rolled down her cheek down onto his clothes. "Don't change, okay?" There was a pause before he answered.

       "I won't."

      "Promise?" Her voice was a little squeaky. Mikey looked down, resting his cheek on top of her head. With a breath, he raised his right hand, pinky finger outstretched. He heard her giggle and raise her left hand, pinky finger outstretched as well.

        "I promise." And just like they always did when they were children, a pinky promise.

       Then she fell quiet for a few moments, breathing softly. "I've always loved you." She breathed out, a giggle following. She closed her eyes. Her bangs tickled his neck. She felt warm in his arms.

       "I feel sleepy." She said again. "It's okay. Rest." Said Mikey, rubbing her back, like he did when they were younger.

       "I love you, Manjiro."

       She didn't say anything more, her warmth was still there but he couldn't feel her warm breath that was gently fanning his chest. Her pinky finger that was intertwined with his slowly lost their strength, until her hand fell limp on her lap. He tried feel her pulse but she had none. She went to sleep, never to wake up again.