Chapter 44: Never Meant To Happen

"Hey, Naoto. Did you hear that?" Asked Takemichi who couldn't shake off the strange feeling. He stood up and turned back around to face Naoto. He gave him a confused glance. "Hear what?"

      "The voice.." But Naoto declared that he heard nothing. Soon, it began to rain and they ran back to the car, slightly soaking in rain drops. The drive to Naoto's apartment was short, Takemichi explained about the strange phenomena he experienced upon touching the willow tree.

       "You said you were interested in occult things when you were younger, what about from that perspective?" Asked Takemichi but Naoto simply glanced at him and shook his head. "I don't know. In fact, your whole time leaping thing it's actually still hard to process and these things they don't usually mean the same thing. In other words, I don't know."

        Silence followed. "Maybe it's worth to go see a psychic or something?" He suggested, remembering the other strange happenings. So, on the way to his house they took a detour to a well known psychic.

       They entered a small dark room. The scent of herbs and incense burned heavily. Naoto's nose tingled and felt itchy, so much that he had to cover his face with a handkerchief.

         'Madam Alicia' the door said, and a petite black haired woman led them to a small room where a middle aged brunette was waiting. She was adorned with strange jewelry and she wore thick make up. The metal jewelry made loud clanging noises when she moved to greet them.

         "Welcome gentlemen, I am Madam Alicia how may I help you?" She cooed with a sultry smile. Takemichi gulped and felt as if he wanted to bolt out of the place but he grinned and bore the feeling of discomfort for answers.

         So he sat down infront of Madam Alicia, there was round table with a crystal ball between them. "I think I am being haunted. Is there a way to talk to a ghost or something?" He asked nervously.

          Hearing this, Alicia laughed. "Why of course darling, the great madam Alicia can help you. Now, stretched out your hands. Let me see." Takemichi obediently followed, he resisted the urge to pull his hand back from Alicia's claws.

      "Hmm... Yes indeed. It's a very prominent spirit." At this, both men perked up. Alicia closed her eyes and looked in deep focus. "I can feel her energy. Yes, yes... She has a message for you."

         Takemichi and Naoto became hopeful, they hadn't mentioned that the ghost was a woman, just simply a ghost so it was a relief for them that Madam Alicia was a real deal psychic.

"Her name is Rosetta, yes?"

         And they came back down to Earth, their expectations shattered. Naoto frowned and Takemichi's face fell. An irritated Naoto grabbed Takemichi's wrist. "Let's go. We are wasting our time here in this scam of a place."

         Takemichi who was glad, stood up and quickly followed Naoto who stomped his way out of the cramped place. "Wait! I meant Amelia!" Cried the woman but her pleas entered one ear and came out of the other.

      By the door, as if waiting for them was the timid girl who guided them inside. Her long, white dress stood out in the dimly lit passage. Naoto walked past her and Takemichi followed closely behind.

           Suddenly, thin and bony fingers grasped Takemichi's shoulder. Her grip was so strong that Takemichi was jerked back. Her black hair fell messily in front of her face, as if she hadn't ever held a comb. Her black eyes were wide, standing out against her pale white skin.

        Takemichi's heart skipped a beat in fear, he felt that he was looking at Sadako from the movie Ring, who had crawled out of her well and through the screen.