Chapter 45: Grieve

A/n: For better reading experience listen to Dancing With Your Ghost by Sasha Sloan. Enjoy.

      Ken-chin is on death row.

       The words echoed in her mind like a broken record. Emma, who didn't know collapsed. She fell to the floor in utter shock. She couldn't breathe. "What? What did you say? Why is Draken... Draken is." Her mind blanked and her felt as if it had been torn, stepped on and thrown away.

      'In all these years, I've never stopped loving him.'

      She turned to Baji for answers but Baji, who wanted to tell her, held back. He didn't say anything so that Emma doesn't fall apart. Emma even when she was halfway across the world, her heart has always belonged to Draken.

      In a sense, she was like her brother, who only had one love through hell or high water.

       "I'm glad I saw you one last time. At least I can tell Karricchi that you look good. Take care, Emma."

       Kisaki had recently wiggled his way inside Toman's upper echelon as the captain of the third division in place of Pah-chin.

      This caused a major reorganization inside the gang but Mikey, who was the head that lost his soul, let go of the reigns. Kisaki was subtle, gentle and slow, like water continuously scraping a rock. What had been a dark time for them was a golden opportunity for Kisaki.

      They say there are five stages of grief. The first is denial. For months Mikey lamented her death but, one day, something began. He began to see her in the usual places. Beside him in school, sitting on his bike, in the tree house and by her window, where there were no lights and the shutter closed.

       "Where are you going Mikey?" Asked Draken, it was the tenth meeting he had missed. Although he noticed Mikey looked a little different, he began to put on the weight he lost, the bags under his eyes were slowly reducing. Above all, he was smiling.

      "I'll go see Karricchi."

       A cold chill ran up Draken's spine. It wasn't a statement that sounded 'to go to her grave' but rather to see the person herself. "Mikey, that's enough." His friend was beginning to get lost in the darkness, standing over the edge so close to falling into the abyss.

      "Huh? What do you mean Ken-chin?"

     "Karrie is gone. You know that."

      But Mikey at him with wide eyes and the same expression months back when he first knew. "What?" Was his question in disbelief. "But she isn't. She's there... waiting for me."

     That was when Draken realised that Mikey broke. It was like that for weeks, all of them watched Mikey turn into Humpty Dumpty.

       Humpty Dumpty
     sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty
   had a great fall.
All the King’s horses
and all the King’s men,
Couldn’t put Humpty
together again.

    Draken and the rest of them wondered why couldn't they put him back together again. However, it didn't last long. One day he walked up to them with a smile on his face and said that he was fine.

     "Karricchi wouldn't want me to mope forever." Was what he said. "She wanted Toman to be great, so, I'm back."

      The careless days of their youth began then, wild nights and crazy brawls and parties every day.