Chapter 71: Extortion

Hearing his phone ring, Kisaki looked at the caller.

[Hanma]

         He was sitting by the rooftop all by his lonesome, formulating and scheming at lunch break. His dyed blonde hair reflected back from the phone screen.

      Then he picked up the call and Hanma's deep, sultry voice wafted through like silk. "So it's a bust." He began not even saying hello. Kisaki's expression crumpled just a little bit.

      "What are you talking about?"

      "The Haitani brothers ain't joining Valhalla. Leanman too." There was a faint groan followed by a maniacal giggle on the other end as opposed to Kisaki's expression. He felt a subtle feeling of anger crawling under his skin.

      "Why?"

     Hanma hummed and then said, "'First come first served.' That's what they said." Even when Kisaki couldn't see him, he knew from the subtle scratches and barely audible hissing that Hanma had been in a fight.

     "Does that mean..." He trailed off, thinking of only one possibility. "Uh-huh, Princess got to them first~" Kisaki scowled at Hanma's amused tone. Unconsciously, Kisaki's fist clenched and his teeth grinding together with a bubbling anger.

      Kisaki didn't want to admit it but Karriez Fadenn was a difficult opponent. She was the rose among the thorns. There were no cracks in her defenses and he couldn't work his way in. He had to set the stage carefully and delicately.

     He knew that one miscalculation, one mistake and she would destroy his dream like a crumbling sand castle.

     Meanwhile, Karriez sat absentmindedly after lunch. Her head resting on her palm with her elbow to the table as she gazed out the window watching the clouds.

      It was free period, Mikey was sleeping and she couldn't care less about what Draken was doing. Suddenly, the classroom door opened and the noisy students with nothing better to do scampered off to their seats like mice.

      All of this went by with Karriez's head in the clouds. "-denn! Ms. Fadenn!" As if she had been electrified, Karriez snapped her head towards her teacher, who was looking at her with an expectant face as if waiting for an answer.

     Karriez opened her mouth to respond but couldn't think of any words to say. "Um.." "Say 'I agree.'" She heard Draken's whisper as she was staring at the wide eyed teacher. "I agree?"

      At her words, the class burst into cheers and their homeroom teacher who invaded free period clapped her hands and smiled. "Okay, what did I just agree to?" She exclaimed, a little worried as she snapped her head towards Draken.

     But he didn't answer because he was busy snickering, on the verge of laughter. That was when she looked at the chalkboard with the words 'School Festival Pageant' scribbled in the teacher's doctor-like writing.

      "No.. No!" Her face crumpled and she shook her head frantically but everyone, except for the sleeping Mikey, was cheering on. "Kenny! You traitor! How could you?!" But he only shot her a grin. It was a small payback when they ditched him and left him to all the lectures weeks prior.

      Draken usually didn't hold grudges but he always paid her back, and she would return the favour, thus resulting to a never ending war between them.

      "Ms. Fadenn, head up to the teacher's lounge later okay? Ah! My class is finally gonna win!" Their teacher said with a dreamy look on her face. Karriez groaned, defeated, as she slammed her head on the table.