Ch.2

Ch.2

She gazed out at the greater UA campus, a straw in her mouth and her left hand holding onto the carton. Mizuki sighed, seeing as today was going by way too slow for her liking. Maybe it was that it was overcast today and she was feeling off thanks to the lack of direct light. Or maybe it was that there was a pop-quiz in math earlier, as that certainly didn't help her mood either.

But at least it was lunchtime now. All Mizuki had to do was eat and maybe have some light conversation with Nejire. If she decided to show up. Lunch started a good ten minutes ago and the airy girl was usually pretty punctual. But it seemed like maybe she was less focused today than usual. Or maybe she forgot that they were supposed to meet up on the roof for lunch today.

No one was ever up here, so it always helped Mizuki relax. She was most definitely a people person, but even she was tired of the usual high school drama and rumors every now and then. So, the quiet peace of the roof was nice. Nothing to do but be left in her thoughts, or at least until Nejire actually showed up and would as a result bring a lively conversation.

Mizuki huffed, seeing as her straw was now sucking up more air than strawberry milk. She sighed, taking the straw out of her lips and then glancing behind her. Her cute little bento was still waiting to be opened and devoured. And seeing as Nejire was taking her sweet time, Mizuki decided it was time for her to at least start nibbling on something so she would at least get something in her stomach.

She sat down on the concrete, undoing the little handkerchief that the plastic lunchbox was wrapped in. A black box decorated with white stars met her eyes, as did the smell coming from inside her lunch. She had made some croquettes and her mouth was already watering.

Mizuki had just opened the top of her bento when the door to the roof opened. A periwinkle-haired girl gazed out and then smiled happily when she spotted Mizuki sitting and getting ready to start to eat.

"So you did wait!" Nejire spoke, dashing out.

Nejire attempted to give Mizuki a soul-crushing hug, but Mizuki stopped her when she pointed her chopsticks towards Nejire's face. Nejire blinked and then chuckled wearily. Mizuki gave her a frustrated expression. Nejire held her hands up and reached into her school bag. A moment later, Nejire presented a box of strawberry milk to the white-haired girl.

Mizuki raised a brow, but couldn't resist the temptation of another delicious strawberry beverage. She took the milk and then nodded to Nejire. The girl engulfed her in her arms a moment later, giggling happily that she had been forgiven so easily. That's what happens when you've known someone for so long... you learn their weak points and will exploit them when you are running late and want instant forgiveness.

"You're lucky I like strawberry-flavored anything so much," Mizuki spoke, seeing Nejire take a seat right next to her. "What took you so long anyway?"

Nejire blinked, humming for a moment as if she forgot what she had just been doing, and then snapped her fingers. A devious smile crossed over Nejire's face and she giggled darkly. Mizuki blinked, and then stopped as the door to the roof opened again and two more of her classmates walked out.

"Hey there!" Mirio smiled widely. "Heard you were hiding out up here, Mizuki!"

"It's so high up..." Tamaki muttered, glancing over the side of the roof, glad there was a fence to prevent him from possibly falling off.

Mirio laughed, patting Amajiki's back. It seemed to have been quite powerful with how the darker-haired male stumbled forward after a few good pats. Mirio stopped and then bent down to join the two girls on the ground.