Chapter 3

I hurried after the woman, and we walked in comfortable silence for a bit.

"Do you have anything you like to do?" She asked.

"I love drawing," I told her with a small smile.

My smile soon faded when I realised, I hadn't drawn since the accident.

"Do you like to draw anything in particular?" She asked.

"Not really, just whatever comes to mind." I admitted.

"What was the last thing you drew?" She asked.

"A landscape, it wasn't anything special though." I said as we reached the outskirts of the city.

She walked up to a small cottage by the woods. It made me smile a little, it was pretty and quaint. I would definitely be drawing this when I got the chance.

I unlocked the door and walked in, smiling more as I looked around a little, but it still wasn't a proper smile, I couldn't bring myself to force one on my face either.

"If you fill out the job form tonight it will be sent off once you put it back in the envelope then you will receive a letter in a few days with a job. I will leave you to get settled," she told me, and I thanked her before looking around.

The bottom floor was a kitchen and living room, then upstairs the attic was converted into a bedroom with a bathroom. I could learn to love this house, it was beautiful.

Once I sat down on the sofa it hit me that Rowan would never see this, no one I cared about would, because I was truly alone.

I sobbed into my hands until the sun began to set, casting the cottage in an orange light. I made myself get up and fill the form out.

When I pulled it out a map fell out as well, that would be beyond helpful. I put that down and filled out the job form. I just wanted to know about me, what I liked to do, what I thought I was good at, what I would do out of the jobs listed if I could choose.

It was actually pretty easy to fill in. Once I was finished, I folded it up and put it back in the envelope. The second I put it back on the table it vanished, and I had to keep in my startled cry.

Once my heart slowed back to its normal pace, I picked the bag up and went up the stairs.

I put the belt of daggers in my bedside table and hung the leathers in the wardrobe. I was about to put the bag under the bed, I couldn't use it with wings anyway, but I realised there was something else in there.

I pulled out three books and another note from my mother.

These will help you discover your new home and why I named you Feyre. I hope you find answers in these books.

Mum xx

I snarled at the words, why couldn't she tell me the person's name, I would never find him at this rate!

Even though I was mad about the lack of answers to my growing list of questions I picked up the top book, checking that it was the first before flicking it open and beginning to read.

The first book introduced me to the world I was now in, because there was no way this was Earth. It also told me that I was fae, or part fae.

I shuddered when I realised, I was in the Night Court.

But if I was in the Night Court then so was Feyre. And Feyre was mates with the man, no male, who helped me.

Shit, that was Rhysand, how did I not realise that sooner. What the hell happened after the first book and now, because last I checked Feyre hated Rhysand.

I couldn't handle the suspense, so I picked up the next book and began to read.

The second book was in emotional rollercoaster. At least now I knew why Feyre was here, and where here was exactly. I hated Tamlin with my whole being, and I loved Feyre. The more I thought about it the more I realised I didn't deserve her name. She had done so much in her short life to help this world.

With a slightly heavier heart I picked up the last book and began to read. I felt what was left of my ruined heart crumble completely as I read that final book. Just knowing that this was all real, it all happened to these people made me begin to sob.

My only condolence was that Prythian won, this place was at peace, well, as at peace as it could get with Tamlin and Beron still around.

The refugees must be from Hybern, with no ruler it would have fallen. But that means they think I'm from Hybern, well isn't that just brilliant.

I put the books in the draw above the daggers then tried to find a way to get comfortable on the bed with these wings.

After an hour of tossing and turning I eventually slipped off into a fitful sleep.

I woke the next morning feeling numb, just like I had done in the hospital.

I was still half asleep when I got up and changed into the leathers. They were ridiculously hard to put on and whoever designed them needs shooting but after an hour of fiddling with the buckles I felt they were alright.

When I got downstairs, I saw a letter on the table. It startled me at first as I wondered if I had forgotten to lock the door or something but then I realised it had probably been magicked in here and I relaxed a little.

I opened it and read through. The High Lord, who is definitely Rhysand, is giving all of the refugees 100 gold marks to help them until we get jobs. I smiled at the paper, it was so kind of him.

The top part of the letter was generalised, but the bottom part had my name and stated that once I signed on the line, I would have an account to be used in any of the stores.

I looked down and realised I need some clothes that weren't my funeral dress or, what I think are, Illyrian leathers. Maybe I could find some of those two-piece sets mentioned in the books.

I looked at the map, memorising the general layout of the city before I took my door key and left.