Bygones 4

The children cheered as everyone entered the living room. Of course they'd be happy to see some sugary treats to eat. So as he set it down on the table, they all gathered around as little Yurisa took the center stage. While she may no longer be as shy as she used to be, the girl was feeling rather overwhelmed with having all the attention casted on her.

"Go ahead now." Her mom encouraged her as the kids sang happy birthday to her. "Make a wish."

"Um, okay." She replied uneasily as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The little girl blew with all her might as the flames went out, leaving only small trails of smoke behind. Everyone cheered for her as it was time to cut out the first slice.

"I hope you wished for something real special." He said as the boy cut the cake and handed it to the birthday girl.

"I did." She replied with a smile. "I wished for-"

"Ah, ah, ah." He cut her as off as they handed down cake along the line so that each person got a slice. "You have to keep it a secret or else it won't come true." While Arata knew that wasn't the case, since these were only childhood wishes. He did what he believed her parents would want him to do.

"Okay." Like a good girl, she listened to him as she had respected him as a babysitter. And also liked him as a person. "I hope it comes true soon."

"Well, depending on what it is, I bet it can even happen today." Obviously without knowing what she wanted, he couldn't say for certain when it'd happen. There was no way he'd consider telling her that it wouldn't come true, even if it was an impossible feat.

With that, he took himself a slice and enjoyed the baked goods with the rest of the party goers. It tasted pretty much as expected coming from a birthday cake ordered ahead of schedule from a local bakery. Still, there was lots of fun to be had with all the kids around them.

The next thing for them to do was for the birthday girl to open up her presents. It seemed everyone had gotten her something. So there was a lot of stuff for them to go through as she opened up each gift. Each time it happened, all the kids would clap and of course she would thank the person who gave it to her.

"Thanks Yuriko." She said once she got to her older sister's gift of headphones. "I'll make sure to listen to them as soon as I can."

"I can live with that." The older girl breathed a sigh of relief knowing that her ears were going to be thankful for the future. "Now, it's Arata's turn."

"Yep." He said, presenting it to the little girl. "I hope you like it."

"Of course I will." She said with no worried as she tore off the wrapping. "Oh my gosh, I love it so much." Yurisa said as she tightly hugged the notebook he got for her.

"It'll be great if there's any secrets you want to keep away from mean old Yuriko." He laughed at his own joke. Though it earned him a pinch on the ear from the target of the joke. "Owowow."

"What's this about me being mean and old?" She said in an irritated manner. Well, if she wanted to prove his point, she certainly did so in front of everyone. As much as one wouldn't think she used to be a delinquent. Her actions definitely showed why she had a past like that. Meanwhile, the children laughed at what they thought was a funny show between the pair. Because apparently violence was funny.

"A-anyway." He tried to pull the subject off of him so she wouldn't continue hurting him. "We should have one more present to go through."

"Yeah, and it's obviously the best for last." Rouza bragged as if she was the one to pick out the gift. Well, for all they knew she could've, but her little brother seemed a bit hesitant to pull it out. "Now, go on and give it to her."