Chapter 3

Mitch's P.O.V.

The next day I couldn't seem to pluck up the courage to talk to Scott. Every time I went to open my mouth the bell would ring or the teacher would ask a question. Maybe I was just not meant to be friends with him. Maybe he was just a weird loner kid that had some obsession with the outdoors. But something was telling me that there was more to him than just that.

The bell rang for lunch and I slowly slumped towards my locker. In all my attempts to try and talk to Scott I hadn't made any effort to talk to anyone else. So I had no friends. Well there was nothing new there then.

One of the reasons we had to move was because of the severe bullying I was getting in my last school. They were vicious kids there. Never punching or kicking. That would of been better than the things they said to me. The words dripping of hate. The spitting of words was far more worse than the abusive hitting and punching that I rarely got.

The second reason we moved was because my dad got a new job. A better job. It was going to make out lives better. Make us better off. So he took it. I wasn't that unhappy about leaving my home but I hated change. New things were always hard on me.

I closed my locker and turned around. The notice board behind me was piled high with posters and pictures. I quickly scanned over and back along the posters. Mathletes. Soccer club. Debating. That's when my eyes fell on the poster. Glee club. Everyday second day at lunch was the times.

I quickly turned the corner and headed towards the auditorium. This was it. I could sing. I could do that.

I slowly and quietly opened the door to the auditorium. It took a second for my eyes to adjust to the change in light but I could still hear the voice that was singing on the stage. The voice, so smooth like silk. As my eyes adjusted they nearly popped out of my head because the one kid standing on the stage was Scott Hoying. Man he could sing. His voice was like a cold ice cream on a hot day. I mad the hair on the back of my neck stand up and sent shivers down my spine.

I slowly walked down the middle aisle and to where the teacher and the small line of students sat. There wasn't many there but there was enough.

Scott finished singing. A huge smile was plastered over his face and I realised that was the first time I had seen it. His smile. A wide toothy grin that could light up the world.

"Thanks Scott. That was really good. Did I hear someone come in?" The teacher who I didn't recognise, turned around. Scott's shoulders slowly slumped forward and he walked back down to his seat. The moment of happiness after his singing seemed to of disappeared just like that. How did that happen?

"Oh. I don't know you, do I?" She said her eyebrows coming together in slight confusion.

"No, miss. I'm Mitch Grassi. I just moved here. I-i was wondering. Could I try out f-for...." I began to stutter and she looked at me over her glasses, a wide smile on her face.

"Of course you can. I'm Mrs Sylvester by the way. Do you have a song and we can access you from that?" She asked. I began to panic. I had no song. What was I going to do? Calm Mitch, calm. You can do this. Just think of any song.

"C-can I sing, Stand By Me by Ben E. King?" I asked. She nodded and smiled. Her smile was friendly and welcoming.

As I walked up the steps of the stage I noticed Scott was sat one row back from the rest of the kids. Why did he seclude himself from everyone?

I shook my hand and turned to face out. "When the night, has come the land is dark and the moon is the only light we'll see." I began. As I continued singing I became more confident. I noticed as I hit the chorus Scott's head snapped up to look at me.

"So darling, darling. Stand by me. Oh, stand by me. Oh, stand. Stand by me. Stand by me." I sang. I finished off the song and everyone clapped, which I wasn't expecting. Even Scott seemed to have a small smirk on his face.

I walked back down the steps and looked at Mrs Sylvester. She smiled at me and nodded her head. "Ok, you're in. Here's one of our group songs that we are doing." She handed me a piece of paper. "We didn't have time to ripen through that this week but next week we are right into work. Remember you have Nationals coming up." She said to the group of us. That's when everyone began to stand and walk out.

I smiled to myself and began to walk, but was held back by a hand on my arm just before I got to the door. I turned to see the blond boy with the blue eyes that I had been meaning to talk to all day. "You've got a really nice voice." He said. His voice, just like his singing voice, like silk.

"So do you. I was amazed when I came into the auditorium there. I never thought you'd be the singing type." I stated, rambling slightly. We began to walk out onto the corridor.

"You only met me yesterday. And you've never talked to me." Scott said, his voice becoming noticeably quieter when we hit a crowd of kids.

"I guess." I stated. Scott began to turn a corner and I drowned, following him. "We've got physics next. Isn't that this way?" I asked trying to keep up with him.

"I don't want to go to that class." Scott said plainly, reaching the back exit and pushing on the door. I stopped for a second and then continued to follow him out the door. One class didn't matter, right?

"What are you gonna do?" I asked as he continued to walk across the court yard to the green. He turned and looked at me and then continued to walk. We hit grass and soon he stopped just by a tree. He dropped his backpack to the ground and sat with his back against it.

I reluctantly sat down next to him. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to want to be friends with him. "I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, why did I just follow the weird kid out onto the green? Why I just ditch physics?" Scott said staring straight ahead.

"You're not weird, Scott." I said, placing my hand down on his leg. He pulled away quickly like my hand was on fire. Shit! I shouldn't have done that. "I followed you out here because I want to be friends. You seem nice and I don't know anyone here." I said awkwardly.

"Well, you've come to the wrong guy for that. I'm not good at making friends." Scott said.

"You try something new everyday." I said. He turned his head to look at me and smiled. Second time. "So tell me about yourself."