Chapter 38

A/N Triggering!! Contains graphic abuse!!

Mitch's P.O.V.

I began to notice the odd thing here and there. the way Scott sometimes walked with a limp. The way he always wore sweaters, with the sleeves rolled down. He stopped wanting to go to the beach or do anything with his shirt off. He became quieter, talking only when he was spoken to first. He was always tired. He would come over and sleep for a couple of hours. He would then apologise for sleeping, like it was something really wrong to do.  I noticed how he started to go running, all the time. Alex always rang him when he came over. It was weird. He was like cling film!

It was until one day that I went over without calling that I realised. I realised what was going on. I hadn't noticed and it had been going on for months.

I parked in my usual spot in the parking lot. I walked to the door where someone was putting their pin in to open the door. They held the door open for me. I walked up the two flights of stairs to Scott and Alex's apartment. I stood in front of the door. I prepared to knock. I stopped myself. I could hear something.

"Just stop being such an idiot! You're so dumb!" It was loud and it definitely wasn't Scott's voice. It was Alex's but it sounded possessed. It wasn't the kind Alex that usually greeted you with a smile.

Then I heard it, the sound of skin being whacked. Whether it was a punch, or a kick, or a slap, I didn't know. Things started to string together in my head. He was hiding his bruises. He didn't sleep at night because he was scared. He said sorry because he was scared. He was quiet because he was scared. He went running to get out of the house. Alex called him to know where he was, so he could control him.

I reached for the door knob and slowly twisted it, it was unlocked. I was scared. Alex was like a foot taller than me. He was definitely stronger. But he wouldn't hurt me would he?

I quietly let the door swing open and walked into the apartment. I firmly closed the door behind me. The sound of shouting had become louder, less muffled. I could make out the words spilling from Alex's mouth crystal clear now. "You should know how to please me by now!" and "If you weren't so lazy we'd have more money!" Were some of the words coming from his mouth.

I then heard Scott try to say something but he was cut off by a slap. "Let me do the talking! And don't you even dare to say that I'm angry! You will KNOW when I'm Angry!!" I stopped outside their bedroom. The door was cracked open and I could just make out Alex's unclothed back towering over the bed. He still had his jeans on but seemingly had removed his belt.

That's when I heard the crack of leather against skin and the sound of Scott let out a cry of pain. He was crying and I could tell he was backing further into the head rest of the bed that he was sat on. I held my breath at the sound of another whip from Alex's belt. This time there was no sound that followed. Scott had been silenced.

"Yeah you better not say another word! Now clean yourself up! I'll be back in a minute!" Alex began to walk towards the door and I hid myself between the plant and bookcase in the corner of the hall. I held my breath as he walked past and stamped off to the kitchen. I could see through the leaves of the plant that his face was red and there was sweat on his forehead, his mouth held a mischievous smirk. I had to get Scott out.

I heard Alex in the kitchen and ran into Scott's room. He was pulled into a ball, in the furthest corner of the bed. He hid his head in his knees. His shoulders were shaking. He was wearing nothing but his boxers and I could see the odd bruise on his harm and his curved back as well as his legs.

I walked over to where he sat and he looked up. In that moment I felt my heart break in two. His eyes were full of water and I saw the pure fear behind the blues. I then saw the confusion. The doubt. The hope. And finally the pain. He nearly cried out when he saw me but I rushed forward and covered his mouth with my hand. "I'm gonna get you out okay? We have to be quiet." I whispered.

I heard footsteps. Alex was coming. I hid in the closet at the end of the room, leaving the door a crack open and Scott in the corner of the bed. I watched through the crack of the door as Alex approached the door. He walked up to the bed and began to crawl over to Scott. I could see him smiling widely. It wasn't friendly. It was maniacal. He gently kissed Scott on the forehead.

"I'm going to get coffee. When I come back you will be ready!" He said firmly. His voice calm and quiet. I felt my whole body tingle at his words. I wanted to take Scott there and then but I knew if I got caught Scott would probably be killed.

Alex stood and walked out the door. I waited before I heard the front door closed and then I walked out. I grabbed a shirt, sweat pants and a sweater. I handed them to Scott without a word. I just needed to concentrate on getting him out.

I then grabbed a gym bag, filling it with clothes. All of his clothes. I grabbed four pairs of shoes, made Scott wear one and stuffed the rest in the bag. I grabbed his chargers, his laptop and his phone. I then picked up his wallet, putting that and his phone in the pocket of the sweater he was struggling to put on.

I stopped what I was doing, placing the stuff down on the bed and then helping him. I lifted his arms over his head and pulled the sweater down, revealing his face. His eyes were red and showed every sign of pain. I moved my hand up to his face, wiping his tears away. "It's okay. I'm gonna get you out." I told him.

I then led him out of the apartment and down the stairs and into the car. I started the car and drove all the way to my apartment in silence. When I opened the door of my apartment I took him into my arms and held him as he cried.

"It's okay. You're safe. I've got you." I whispered.