Chapter 36

Mitch's P.O.V.

It's been a month and half since Scott turned up on my door step. The day after he called me up and said he was sorry, said he was drunk and being a dick and I agreed with him even though I knew he was as sober as a ten year old. I could tell by the look in his eyes. We have since than become friends again even though I refuse to go out and drink with him. He's still with Alex but I've noticed a change. Something different is going on, I can tell but I just can't put my finger on what it could be.

My phone rang loudly by my side. I picked it up to see Scott's picture on the screen. I felt that familiar quickening of my heart and that lump in my throat. I shouldn't have said no to him that day but I was right, he went straight back to Alex. I knew he would.

"Hoying!" I said, my usual greeting to him. I heard a sniff on the other end and suddenly knew that there was something wrong.

"Can- can I come over? Or can we go out? Can we just do something?" His voice was shaky and I could tell he had been crying. They had been fighting again, most likely. I didn't bother asking anymore. It was usually over something stupid and they'd be fine the next day.

"Do you want me to come pick you up? We can go get coffee and go for a walk." I told him. He sniffed and I could tell by the sound on the other end that he was nodding. "I'll be right over." I told him, just about to hang up.

"Mitch?" He asked before I could put my phone down.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Thank you." He whispered. Then he hung up before I could say another word. I got in my car and drove to his place where he was waiting for me on the step in front of the apartment building. In the rain, may I add. His hood was pulled over his head and his hands were stuffed in his pockets.

As I got closer, he stood and walked to me, getting in the car without a word. I drove down the road to Starbucks and stopped in the parking lot, locking the door before he could get out.

Scott looked at me from the corner of his eye. He didn't look at me head on. He wouldn't show his full face. "I'm not opening the door until you tell me what happened. You need to get out whatever it is he said or you did. I don't want you breaking down in the middle of Starbucks." He sighed and turned back to the window.

"Scott, look at me, please. What happened?" I asked again. He turned to face me and I gasped. There was a dark purple bruise around his eye. It seemed to be a couple of days, which was strange considering I had seen Scott yesterday and there was nothing there.

I moved my hand up to his face, running my thumb lightly over the bruise as he flinched away from me. "Did he do this?" I asked. There was flecks of yellow running through the bruise, like veins. I noticed that his eyes were a paler blue than usual, almost grey. He was changing.

"He came home drunk. It was an accident. He apologised the next day. It's not his fault." Scott rambled, pulling away from me. I shook my head at him.

"Not his fault? He hit you Scott." I told him. Scott looked at me, a blank expression on his face. I decided to just ignore it. "If he does it again tell me, please." I told him.

I unlocked the door and we walked together to Starbucks. We ordered our usual and sat down in a booth in the corner of the shop. It was quiet but had that usual coffee shop buzz. I sipped at my coffee, the strong smell filling my nose.

"I told him to stop leaving his buttery knives in the sink. He freaked out. Told me that I had no right to tell him what to do. I shouted back at him and it became a shouting match between the two of us. We keep arguing, Mitch. I don't like arguing, especially with Alex." Scott told me.

"Maybe you guys need a break." I whispered.

"No! We don't. We're fine. He's right, I shouldn't speak to him like that." I laughed but it was humourless.

"You should listen to yourself every once and awhile." I stated, placing my coffee cup down on the table. He frowned. "You stick up for him all the time. Even when it's him in the wrong."

"What are you trying to say?!" He snapped. I began rethink my words.

"I don't want to fight. Forget I said anything." I mumbled as Scott's phone began to ring. He picked it up.

"Hey." He said to whoever was on the other end. I guessed that it was Alex by the way his shoulders sunk forward and his eyes lost their twinkle. There was something going on behind closed doors. I just didn't know if I had the energy to figure out what it was.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, babe..... I won't.... Ten minutes.... I love you too." He hung up. I could only faintly hear Alex's voice on the other end. He sounded very assertive and forceful. Scott didn't want to show it but I knew he was scared. I could tell but I didn't want to interfere. He was probably fine. They were probably fine. Alex was a nice guy, wouldn't hurt a fly.

"I've got to run." He whispered, pressing his phone into his pocket.

"I can give you a lift." I interjected as he stood up. He shook his head.

"I'll be home quicker if I walk. Traffic is terrible today." And with that he was gone. No goodbye. No nothing. He ran out the door like a lightning bolt. He seemed really excited to see Alex!