CHAPTER 6 - THE GIFTING.

Gwyneth continued to commune with the people of the Magical Realm and to pore over Morgana's papers, but eventually, she proclaimed herself finished, and summoned Guy to wrap his wife in a blanket, and carry her from the bedroom to the kitchen, as there were many things to be discussed and she did not relish the telling of it twice.

    She then warned Guy that magic was about to be performed in his house, whether he permitted it or not, and if he wished to prevent the death of his wife, he must concur.

    When Guy and Auriel were seated, she placed a lighted candle in each corner of the room, sprinkled a circle of salt all around them and took her seat. She then lit the bowl of herbs in the centre of the table, placing a blank parchment in front of her, telling them to join hands with her and close their eyes.

    Guy clutched tightly at the hand of his wife, who gently squeezed his in return, to try and calm him. Gwyneth then raised her own eyes to the ceiling, speaking in a tongue that Guy had no knowledge of, though Ariel responded to her aunt whenever she paused in her chanting, and it became apparent to him that the incantation was familiar to his wife, as she knew the responses required.

    His body's immediate response was to flee and he would have left the table, had Gwyneth not said sternly, "You will remain! You must not break the circle and your eyes must remain closed!"

    There was a flash of lightning, followed almost immediately by a great crash of thunder, as a rush of wind spewed soot and ash from the chimney, and the kitchen door flew open. The fire, along with the four candles, was extinguished and the room fell into darkness.

    Gwyneth stood up, relighting both the candles and the fire with a snap of her fingers and handed the parchment, (which now appeared to be inscribed with all manner of symbols), to her niece, who took it from her and read it with trembling hands.

    She looked at her Aunt and asked, "Is this the only hope for me then?" and her aunt nodded. "But what about my children, who will care for them while we are gone and shall I ever return?"

    "I cannot answer that sweet girl, but your husband will be with you, and I know that he would lay down his life for you if it were required, you must trust in him and his courage".

All the while Guy sat staring, first at one and then the other, as he heard the words that passed between them. "Dear God," he cried, "Will no one tell me what has passed here?"

    "Merlin, the great Wizard, is the only one that can help us", Gwyneth said, "though none know of his present whereabouts, but you must first travel back to the Great Mere in Camelot to speak with the Lady of the Lake, it may be that she can help you, as she is linked to all those of the Magical Realm. She could even now be aware of our search and will perhaps know where he is to be found."

    Then she looked at her niece and said, "Have faith child, there is still time, the sickness is in abeyance, and we must continue to build up your strength over the coming weeks, to prepare you for the journey. You have the love of your husband to sustain you and he will not fail you, trust in him, as I do. Look there, he smiles at you even now, with such love in his eyes, how can you doubt him?"

    "You ask about your children, who better to care for them than I, after raising so many of my own? For sure, they will be very spoiled when you return to them, but they will be loved in your absence, you may be sure of that. Now, kiss your old Aunt and let your husband carry you back to bed, all will be well, and tomorrow is another day. But send him back to me, for I would give him the "gift" if he wishes it."

    At that, Guy saw his wife smile and there was hope in her eyes as he carried her back to bed. He sat and talked with her for a while of everyday things, the children, their future schooling, and matters of the farm. Before she slept, they laughed on the birth of the great lusty child that had recently been born to Ivor and Richildis, in this very bed, Guy swearing that by the size of him, he had surely been born six months grown already and Ivor so proud of him.

    The normality of their talk seemed to calm her and they kissed awhile, as lovers do, and she opened his shirt and rested her head there, against his chest, as if to remind herself of the scent of him and he believed in that moment that all would be well.

    He left her quietly sleeping and went down the stairs, where his new aunt was waiting for him and Guy remembered that he was promised a gift. He enquired about it, asking what he had done to warrant it. Gwyneth smiled and said they should drink some wine together first, while she would tell him of it.

    They sat quietly in front of the fire drinking their wine, enjoying each other's company, when she reached out, taking his hand in hers, and said, "It is given to people of magic, that they may "gift" a portion of their magical abilities to a mortal, but they can give it only once in their lifetime, lest they weaken their own abilities, and the one to receive it must be willing, as it will stay with them for ever. I would pass my "gifting" to you, as I believe it will help you in the saving of our precious girl."

    "You would give me that which you know I have always feared?" he asked, "what if in my fear, I cannot control it, and I do her harm?"

    "There is time, if you accept this "gifting", for me to school you in the use of it and as the days pass, it will seem to you that you have always had it, and with familiarity, the fear will leave you."

    "Is their pain in this "gifting?" he asked, "for if it will aid me in the saving of the mother of my children, I will gladly bear it, for you know that I love her more than my own life."

    She smiled at his words and said, "So, Sir Guy of Gisborne, you step up to the mark once again and I honour you for it. You are a good and noble man. There is no pain, but I must warn you, the gift heightens the senses, and that may seem strange at first, but it can be of advantage to you if you use it wisely. It may also prolong your life. Are we to do it then, for it takes but a moment?"

    He stood and straightened his shoulders, "I will accept this gift," he said, "for I will need every advantage if I am to save the one who is so dear to me, please God that I do not regret it, do it, do it now!"

    She stood to face him, saying "Close your eyes, you will feel a little warming in your blood and your heart may race for a while, but it will pass. You will feel the touch of my hands on your temples for a few short moments and it will be done, though I must ask you again if you do this willingly."

    "I am willing," he said, and just like that, it was completed.

    He opened his eyes and said to her, "My God what have I done?"

    Then a slow sideways smile crept across his face and she knew that he was feeling the power of it rise within him. "We will talk about it tomorrow, go to bed now."

    She could not help but admire the swing of his hips as he walked away, and when he reached the bottom of the stairs, he turned to her and said, smiling, "Aunt, your words are immodest", but then saw that she had not spoken, and he became aware that he had heard her thoughts.

    Blushing and raising her right eye brow she smiled back at him saying, "This new found ability you are experiencing is only a part of what I have gifted to you, and I wonder at the wisdom of it now, as I appear to have been a victim of my own generosity! The women of my family have always appreciated a handsome man. I may be a hundred and two years old and have outlived five husbands, but my heart still beats to the rhythm of life!'

    "There, now you know all my secrets. I am your wife's great, great, aunt and Mordred is my great, great, great, grandson, but it suits me to say otherwise, because I am a vain old woman and mortal folks do not trust ought they do not understand. Now go to your wife and forgive me my wicked thoughts!"