CHAPTER 25 - RESTING UP BEFORE THE JOURNEY HOME.

They made love many times over the following days, relishing each other anew, and one morning Guy was awakened as he felt his wife gently washing his body. "Why would you do this for me, when I am well able to do it for myself?" he asked.

"Because I wish to," she said. "In the time I was gone from you, I often could not recall the sight of your body, and it was torture for me not to be able to recall, that which had brought me such joy and pleasure. Your face and the sound of your voice also faded from my memory at times and I want never to feel that loss again."

He reached up and rubbed gently at her tears with his thumbs, saying, "We must speak with the magician. I wish to know the reason you were away from me so much longer than you were gone from me. You are still so beautiful, but your body is much changed by the hardship you suffered. Tell me about it that I may understand."

"There are parts of you still unwashed my love," she said, "I would finish the task, for it gives me much pleasure to touch you in this way. I would also shave you, as my desire for facial hair on my husband is diminishing fast. Permit me to do this for you whilst I speak."

The shaving of Guy took a little longer than was expected, as his wife told him of her time away from him. It was a desperate tale. She told him of starvation, imprisonment by the Sheriff, during which time she had been falsely informed of the death of her husband and children, and two very harsh winters without proper shelter.

"There were times when even the Magician could not help us, he was still so affected by our journey, though without him we would never have made our escape from the castle. I have spent the last two years running and looking behind me."

She stood and opened her robe, "This is the result, I have the body of a boy, with the heart of a wife and mother trapped inside, yet you still find me beautiful, and it is this part of you that I love the most."

She wiped the soap from his face and put down the razor, then she looked deep into his eyes and said, "I loved you from the first moment, and I love you still, that will never change, but I will regret forever, the time we were apart. I can never retrieve that time, but while I have your love, the world is a wonderful place for me. I would have you kiss me now, gently and without passion, I want to lie next to you and feel your arms around me."

They were still lying together when she said softly, "I stabbed him, you know, with his own dagger."

Guy raised himself up on his elbow, looking down at her, "Who? Who did you stab?"

"Sheriff Vaisey," she answered, "when he came to the dungeons to tell me that he had murdered both you and my children, and in that one blow I also let loose all the hatred for the path he forced you to take as a young man. It was the day of our escape, and he lay bleeding as I ran from him, may he rot! He would have doubtless killed us both had he come through the Portal."

Guy hugged her tight as he spoke, "My brave girl, you have endured so much, we will remain here a while longer and build up your strength, always believe that I love you and desire you, no matter what form your body assumes."

Then he laughed softly, his lips against her cheek, "I confess the feel of your muscled belly against mine is very pleasant and the strength in your thighs has been a revelation."

As they were talking, Thorin knocked and then appeared in the doorway. He looked at Auriel and said quietly, "We have had word from your aunt. She is delighted that the sickness you carried has been overcome, and she says that all is well at the farm. Your children long for your return, but she says you must remain here until you are fully recovered from your ordeal with the Magician."