CHAPTER 24 - A GENTLE, THEN PASSIONATE REUNION.

Whilst Guy waited on her return, Thorin came back to the chamber, telling him that he had asked for a private space to be prepared, that they may be alone in their reunion.

    "The rooms once belonged to my grandfather Thrain," he said, "and it is my honour to offer them to you and your sweet lady. I will wait for her return and then guide you to it."

    Guy said that he was grateful for the thoughtfulness of the gesture, "I have been glad of your company in these past days," he said, "I will consider you to be a friend always. I feel a kinship with you as a brother, and it has been a great honour for me to have you stand beside me in my darkest hours. I would have faltered had you not been by my side."

    "I have been glad to be of service," replied Thorin, "and I am pleased beyond measure at your lady's safe return. Her eyes brightened when she saw you alive and knew her children to be safe."

    A moment later Auriel appeared with her sisters. She was richly dressed in a purple velvet gown and there were bright jewels at her neck. Her hair, which had grown much during her long absence hung to her waist and it shone softly in the candle light. She looked so lovely that Guy could not speak, and he could see that Thorin was equally moved.

    "You are ready for the feast then Lady," the dwarf said, "I was about to tell your husband of it

    "You are ready for the feast then Lady," the dwarf said, "I was about to tell your husband of it."

    The feast, as it turned out, was in honour of Merlin and Auriels safe return and Thorin was quick to point out that the dwarves were famous for their feasting, and that no one would be seeing their beds that night.

    Guy protested that he had no suitable clothing, but Thorin said, "I will show you to your night chamber. You will find that the magical folk have anticipated the shortfall in your "feasting attire,"

    He was laughing loudly as he led Guy away. Looking back at Auriel still chuckling, he said, "I shall bring him back to you Lady, more "suitably" dressed!"

    Guy was most certainly more suitably dressed, when Thorin returned with him an hour later, though he was far from happy. His planned reunion with his wife was not going according to plan, and feasting was the last thing on his mind. He was quite determined to take the time to kiss her soundly at the very least, and he would have his damned privacy too!

    "I would have a moment with my wife, Sir, if there is time before the feast begins," he said to the dwarf and Thorin bowed as he left the chamber.     "There is always time to kiss a beautiful woman, my friend," he said, smiling,"I will return in a short while to take you both to the feasting hall."

    So, they were alone at last. Guy walked slowly towards Auriel, surprised at the apprehension he felt, but she moved swiftly towards him, putting her arms tight around his waist, resting her head on his chest.

    "Never have I regretted my lack of stature until this moment," she said, "for I would feel the length of your body against mine as I kiss you."