CHAPTER 14 - THE DEPARTURE AND THE FIRST DAY ON THE ROAD.

The next morning they rose early and were sitting close together at the table when aunt Gwyneth came down at her usual time to light the fire. When she saw them there she kissed them both on the top of their heads, and got on with the business of the day, but Guy was unable at first to look at her directly, because he remembered her words, when she had told him that she had experienced as a young woman, the very sensations that he had felt the night before.

But halfway through the morning, he suddenly recognised the generosity of her spirit, and when he returned home for refreshment at noon, he found her alone in the kitchen, looking at him so warmly that he said, "I would embrace you aunt with your permission." He softly kissed her cheek and then stood back smiling, as she raised her apron to wipe away a tear.

Then the day of departure finally arrived, the larger of the two mounts was saddled ready to carry both Guy and Auriel,  and the smaller loaded with everything they would need for the journey.

Richildis had taken the smaller children to the cottage the night before, bribing them with promises of baking the morning after, so that their mother would not have to say the difficult farewell that would undoubtedly have broken her heart. Then aunt Gwyneth had put her niece to bed in the early evening and given her a sleeping draught, to ensure that she was well rested before the journey began.

Guy had been given his final instructions as to the potion and its dosage, and detailed written instructions as to how to make it with the dried ingredients, should it be required. There were fifty days worth of doses, ready made and packaged singly in small glass vials wrapped in sheepswool and encased in a leather box.

Ivor had presented them with a large canvas shelter, complete with a groundsheet. It was proofed against wet weather with lanolin and ready slotted, coming with the wooden pegs, ropes, and poles Guy would need to erect it. He had carved, cut, sewn and trimmed all these things himself, sitting in his cottage until the early hours over the preceding weeks to complete the task.

Richildis had also presented them with her efforts, two feather stuffed sleeping mats and two knitted blankets, so that they would have comfort at night while they were on the journey. The things were light and portable, and would prove to be invaluable.

As he had received the gifts, hand fashioned by his stockman and his wife, Guy had been so moved by the kindness and loyalty shown, that he could not speak, but he placed a hand on their shoulders and gripped hard, hoping that they would feel his gratitude.

Richildis stepped forward and said, "Forgive me Master, you may think me forward, but I must do this." She enfolded him in her arms, swiftly kissing his cheek, whispering, "Bring her back to us, Cariad, for she is the heart of this place."

Guy looked at her closely for he had no knowledge of the Welsh language and Ivor stepped forward to shake his hand, saying, "It means 'my dear one', Sir, for so you both are to us."

Ivor then assured him that all would be well on the farm in his absence, and that he would guard the family with his life, should he be called upon to do so.

Then Guy kissed aunt Gwyneth in farewell and though she tried to speak words of encouragement to him, her words turned into a great racking sob. She went back into the kitchen, softly closing the door. Then he knelt to embrace young Mordred, who was standing alone now, struggling to hold firm, and he told him that he was as proud of him as it was possible for a man to be of his son, before mounting the horse behind his wife. They rode away to the sound of her bitter sobs.

That first day passed slowly, but uneventfully, as for at least twelve hours, they would be on familiar ground. Guy held his wife gently in his arms as she hiccuped in her tears, but he said nothing because he had not the words to comfort her. So they rode on in silence, only stopping to rest and water the horses at noon. They found a suitable clearing in the forest two hours before sunset and started to make camp for the night.

He thought that his wife seemed a little more cheerful as she went off to gather wood for the fire. Then he tethered their larger mount on a wooden stake and long rein, to enable it to forage during the night. He had already unloaded the shelter and most of their supplies from the pack horse, when it was spooked by the wind gusting in the trees and promptly bolted, the remaining supplies falling to the ground.

The runaway would have dragged Guy along with it, had he not been sharp in untangling the bridle from his wrist and he was cursing loudly as he picked up the leather case which contained the glass vials of the potion his wife needed to keep her well.

By the time Auriel reached him, he had opened the case and was staring down at the mess inside. He counted out the bottles that were still intact and was thankful to find that they had been so well packaged by aunt Gwyneth that only five had broken, though the fleece she had used was now very damp and sticky.

"We can dry it by the fire my love," she said, "do not concern yourself, it simply needs you to come back to the camp to light it and all will be well. The horse is nervous and will not want to be out in the dark on its own, it will seek us out when it is hungry for our company and its nightly feed bag."

"Why is my presence required to light the fire sweetheart, did you not bring the flint and tinderbox?" Then he smiled at her as it came to him that their roles, on this second journey, had been completely reversed. Whereas before, he had needed Auriels magical skill to ignite the fire and perform other tasks necessary for their comfort, he now had the power within his own hands and mind, to ensure their wellbeing, and it sat well with him.

So he lit the fire with a snap of his fingers, whilst his wife stood by, but instead of thanking him, she berated him a little for his smug face, and threatened to withhold his supper if he did not immediately desist from strutting about so full of himself!

The horse did indeed come back to them as Guy was feeding its larger companion, and his wife looked quite proud of herself as her prediction proved to be accurate, until Guy encircled her waist with his arm, slapping her backside playfully for her hypocrisy.

"I believe my sisters in magic bid you service me often my beautiful man," she said boldly, as she slid her hands round to grasp his backside, pulling him closer to her.

"So," he said softly, kissing her neck and then sliding his lips down over her breasts, "is it servicing you require you shameless hussy? I think I will have you wait until I have had my supper. Perhaps if you ask me again, I may give some thought to your unseemly demands, that is of course, if I can spare the time."

She snorted and looked down at his manhood which was straining against the black leather of his breeches, "Your body already betrays you my lord", she said, "but I will tend to your supper, if that is your preference."

"So madame, you incite my passion and then cast me aside! I think not," he said, pulling her more firmly against him.

"Then I yield my lord," she said, "as you appear to have something I now favour more than your supper," and she slid her hand downward and clasped him gently.

"And what might that be my comely wench!" he said, one hand gripping her chin, forcing her to look at him, the other flat against the tree by her face, as he pressed himself more firmly against her hand. "Tell me and I may find it in my heart to oblige you with it!"

So she dragged up her skirts, gripped him a little harder, challenging him," If you can manage to get this inside me and move your wonderful hips without further preamble, you may very well find out my lord!"

Supper was a mite delayed that night.