CHAPTER 19 - THE LADY OF THE LAKE.

The following morning they both rose early, having decided that they would travel to the Great Mere without further delay. Guy had left to water the horses earlier and when he returned, he told her that there was much activity on the road.

"There are many Knights riding out this morning my love, there are men with dogs on foot, they are searching someone out, I am sure of it. We must cover up all traces of our presence here before we leave. But for now we must lie low, and share our lodgings with the horses! I will fetch branches and lay them in front of the entrance."

"There is a plant growing nearby," she said, "you must go west towards the large oak to find it. Dogs cannot bear the smell of it and will avoid it if they can, here, I have a small piece here in aunt Gwyneth's box, for your reference, but you must gather it quickly, if I crush it and place it in water, you can sprinkle it about the entrance!"

"God bless you my girl," he said, "see how you still fight and I love you for it!"

Then he ran off swiftly to carry out her instructions. He was soon back, clutching a very large handful of the plant required, some of it with roots and soil still attached, where he had snatched it from the ground in his haste.

She crushed it down quickly with a mortar and pestle as Guy added the water. Then he went outside to sprinkle it, taking with him one of the large branches that he had cut to conceal the entrance to the cave. He retreated backwards, brushing the ground with the branch and then interwove it with the others. Then they sat and waited.

The horses were quiet for the moment, but Auriel had foreseen that they may soon become restless, and had prepared a warm oat mash for them in their nose bags which sat ready to be attached.

They had been waiting about an hour when Guy's heightened senses felt the presence of the foot soldiers coming closer with the dogs, and he raised his finger to his lips, as he warned his wife to remain silent.

The men and animals came ever closer and Guy could hear his own heart beating loudly in his chest, knowing that he could not use his magical abilities, lest they be discovered. He held his hand out to his wife, and she grasped it gratefully, closing her eyes, and bringing it to her lips, in gratitude for the comfort of his presence.

They could hear the dogs scuffling and snuffling around outside and the heavy footfalls of those who held them back on their long leashes. Then the dogs started to whine. "What ails these damned hounds, they cringe like whipped children!" said one of the men, while the other agreed, grumbling at the tedium of their task, "Those we seek escaped before the guard changed at dawn, they will be long gone by now and there is yet more magical filth let loose on the world, when will there be an end to it!" There was the metallic ring of weapons, but then all was silent, as they passed on by.

They both let out a long breath and Guy saw the terror in his beloved's face. Then it came to him that she feared not for her own life, but for his.

"We should not have come," she said, "I will not lose you in the saving of my own life, we must return home and accept whatever is to come!"

He stood up and gripped her shoulders, "You think I could do that! I do not have it in me to give up, not while there is breath in my body and I have the strength to lift my sword! I will not give up the joy of you! Sweet Christ woman, you are my life!"

"You are hurting me," she said quietly and he lowered his arms and embraced her.

"Do you think I could go on without you," she said, "knowing that you had given your life for me, the price is too high." He held her close to his heart as she wept.