03 | Chilly Room and a warm dinner

Serafina Ricci

I have created my own reality, one that was doing more harm than good. Being in denial wasn't a smart thing to do, especially when I had the last name 'Ricci'. It was as if I was swimming in an ocean without any water. Trying so hard to make it to the other side, but everything could have been so much easier if I just walked, if I just used my legs. But that meant I was aware, and there was nothing I hated more than being aware.

So as I sat on Massimo's couch and I couldn't bring myself to breathe, I figured I went too far. My entire 'I don't know what was going on' facade was slowly crumbling away and I'm sure Massimo noticed.

It bothered me that he wasn't saying anything. In fact it troubled me that he was so quiet. He was either on the phone and speaking to someone or he was talking to a man named Angelo. To me, he did not say a word, which was driving me crazy. When Massimo finally stepped inside of the room, he briefly looked at me before sitting down besides me.

"Your brother has been shot." My eyes widened at his words. I stood up in a hurry, wanting to get out of the mansion I was in. Yet the guards didn't let me go, they simply stood in front of me with stone cold eyes.

"Massimo I have to see my brother."

"I know, but you can't leave yet. Just wait for him to call you Sera."

"Why can't I see my brother?"

"I don't know who caused the shooting. I have no idea who's behind it either. As long as I don't clearly know what happened, you will be staying here and you won't leave my sight."

"What? Under who's supervision? You can't make me stay here."

"To answer your question, your own brother. And yes I can."

I could help the way I glared at him in annoyance. To say I was irritated was an understatement. I know he was saying and doing all of this to keep me safe, but right now nothing was more important than my brother.

"W-will he survive?" I asked carefully, unsure if I wanted to know the truth.

"You're brother is fine and recovering as we're speaking." Massimo respond to ease my heart.

Naive was one of the many things that I could not be named. At least the real me always knew better than to trust men, especially men like Massimo. I was aware that not everything he said was true. Everything he said must be taken lightly.

It was hard to put my trust in a man that didn't hesitate to threaten me. Perhaps I shouldn't have preyed, maybe I shouldn't have peeked through the door to see what was going on. However I didn't understand how one person could easily take a life.

"I would say make yourself at home, but you won't be doing that are you?" He had asked me with raised eyebrows. His eyes on me as he leaned back in the couch. Taking his tie off as he relaxed.

"Even if I wanted to, I'm wearing tight clothing I can barely breathe in." I told him feeling uneasy under his gaze.

"Angelo bring her something to wear." Massimo said out loud.

"There are no woman clothing in the house Massimo." Angelo answered annoyed. Probably because he didn't like being treated like a butler.