29 | Guilt and shame

Serafina Ricci

My eyes were swollen from all the crying I have been doing. Yet the sadness I held within me wasn't going anywhere. My family were trying their best to console me but it just didn't work. No matter what my mind would wander back to him.

The brown envelope was on my desk unopened. Too afraid to see what was hiding inside of it. Romeo entered my room and sat on the edge of my bed. His hair messy, it looked like he had just woken up.

"Breakfast is ready." He informed me and before I could say no he cut me off.

"I let you do as you pleased the last days. I'm not taking no for an answer. Get out of bed before I drag you out myself." Romeo warned me and I knew how serious his threats were.

I followed him down the stairs my head hung low, too afraid to meet anyone's eyes. Sat quietly at the table and waited for our maid to serve our food.

"Thank you." I whispered as she placed food right into my plate.

"No problem princess." The elderly woman smiled at me as she went back to the kitchen.

She made me my favourite pancakes with fruit on the side. It brought a smile on my face as I looked at my plate. She made it just how I liked it.

"You and Massimo?" My brother questioned me.

I smiled awkwardly. "Not anymore. You don't have to worry about it." I informed him as I took a bite from my pancakes.

"Where is mom and dad?" I tried changing the subject.

"Meeting up with uncle Pietro but back to the subject. You two make a good match." He voiced out and I met his eyes in uncertainty.

"Romeo." I pleaded hoping he would leave it alone.

"I'm sure there is a reason for why he is pushing you away Rosa." Romeo defended him.

"Perhaps but I'm not sure if knowing will do me any good." I told him as I remember the brown envelope sitting on my desk.

"You chose to be ignorant?" He wondered as he took a bit out of his food.

It wasn't me being ignorant, it was me protecting myself. I will open that envelope eventually but I can't change Massimo's decision. Pleading someone to stay when all they want is leave makes me seem desperate. Maybe somewhere I was because it felt like I brought this to myself.

After all I expected everything to be handed to me, and if I made a mistake I didn't think much about it. That way of living was absurd and immature. In fact that's what got me into all this mess. That's exactly how I met Massimo and that's what caused him to leave.

As a kid I thought love was supposed to be easy. As easy as breathing. Something you do without giving it much thought. I thought it just happened and there wasn't anything you could do to stop it. Even when it hurts, even when it brought you pain.
So when I made my way up the stairs and entered my room I figured maybe ignorance isn't always key. I picked up the envelope and found a few pictures and handwritten letters.

The last word rolled off my tongue. "Does he not have a heart? Does he not have a conscious?"

My heart sank as tears streamed down my face. The mystery of my parents death finally revealed. They didn't die in a car crash, they were murdered.