05 | Boredom

Serafina Ricci

I have always wanted to see the world go up in flames. This wasn't me being delusional but passionate. We all needed a fresh start and if the world were to burn down, we would get that fresh start I was speaking of.

But those were just one of my many fantasies. A fantasy that I know will never happen, yet the thought of starting over was very appealing. I longed for change but society will never change, humans will never change. We will continue to be heartless creatures that crave money and power. The nightmare that I was having wasn't making me feel any better either.

It was only my second day here and I woke up in the middle of the night. Tiptoed downstairs, trying my hardest not to make a lot of noise. I could hear voices coming from the kitchen, so me being myself I checked it out. I simply assumed it would be one of the guards, yet to my surprise it had been Aldus and Corbin.

They were in a much more casual attire. They wore sweatpants and hoodies. However their tired expression was very visible on their faces. The bags under their eyes and the frown on their face. It seemed as if they had been arguing before I showed up.

"What are you still doing up?" Aldus wondered.

"I can't sleep." I told him, sleeping in an unfamiliar house didn't feel safe to me. Especially sleeping in a room that isn't mine.

Aldus nodded his head in understanding. Didn't say anything more about the subject. However this occurrence repeated itself a couple of times, to the point where Corbin would make bets on how fast I would find my way back to the kitchen.

However this time I had stayed in my room. The storm outside had scared me and I found myself pulling my blanket over my head. Slightly suffocating but the fear that overwhelmed my body was only getting bigger. The voices I would usually hear was nowhere to be heard. The kitchen was completely empty and cold. So I tiptoed to his bedroom door, hesitating. This was a bad idea, and I knew it all too well. Yet I couldn't bring myself to go back to my own room. I knocked a couple of times and waited for him to open the door.

Aldus stood right there, his messy hair covering his eyes. He pushed it backwards to have a better view. The bags under his eyes on full display. He rubbed his eyes tiredly. Scratched his bare chest as he yawned. Aldus tilted his head to the side, looking at me in confusion but also curiously.

"Are you alright?" He wondered. "Shit did something happen? Wait how late is it?"

"I can't sleep." I told him, and Aldus raised an eyebrow.

"What? You want to sleep with me?" He joked as a smile appeared on his face, clearly amused by his own joke.

I nodded my head and entered his bedroom. Aldus stood there stunned as I already covered myself with his blankets.

"I-I was joking Rosa." Aldus spoke as he sat on the edges of his bed. Too scared to even come close to me. The sound of my middle name made me feel at home. Reminding me of how my brother would call me by my middle name when I pissed him off.

"I don't bite Aldus." I said annoyed as I closed my eyes, ready to fall asleep.

"Boss-man is not going to like this, I really do not want to get on his bad side." He spoke yet still laid in his bed covering his body with a blanket since he was freezing.

Just as I was able to relax, the thunder had made me almost piss my pants. I quickly grabbed Aldus out of fear. My hands trembling as a shiver went down my spine. Thunder has never been one of my best friends. The loud sudden noise always awakens a memory inside of me I wasn't sure who it belonged to. A memory so vivid and clear so it must have been my own. However I tried to forget everything that could leave a mark on my heart. Yet this time it was out of my power. I simply could not stop myself from trembling.