25 | The cellar

Serafina Ricci

It's been a few days since I have been locked inside my room. Rodrigo fed me three meals each day yet I didn't feel like eating. No matter how good it was  it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Being in my bedroom with little to no human interaction suffocates me. I was forced to be alone for hours on end and if I didn't find a solution I'll be stuck here for months. Rodrigo said I'm only a bait and that he will not harm me. Despite saying that taking his word will truly make me a fool.

For now if I want to get through this, I will have to get on his good side. It won't be easy because that man is completely insane. He almost threw my entire plate at me because I refused to finish my food. Someone knocked loudly on my door and I quickly ran to my bed and pretended to be asleep.

I could hear footsteps getting closer and closer. It stopped right beside my bed. I could feel someone lurking above me, simply watching without saying a word. Fear slowly started taking control over my body. My breathing was regular but I'm not sure how long I could pretend.

"Rodrigo she is sleeping." Judging by his voice I could tell who it was. Luca was much more gentle compared to Andre. He might have looked scary but he was definitely kind.

"Wake her up." Rodrigo spoke through his phone.

"Okay." He answered as he tried to wake me up. I pretended to have woken up and yawned to make it more realistic.

"Sorry for waking you up. Rodrigo wants you downstairs." Luca informed me and I nodded my head.

With fear consuming me entirely I followed him downstairs. Rodrigo sat at the dinner table, a cigarette in his hand as he looked me up and down. He signalled me to sit down and I did as I was told.

"How did those days in confinement serve you?" Rodrigo asked me.

I remove my eyes from him as I looked around my home. What used to be my safe place was now my prison. "Euh good?" I answered unsure of what he wanted me to say.

Rodrigo laughed as he stood up from his seat and approached me. Placed his hand on me shoulder as he lowered himself to my level. "I'm curious Serafina, you were staying with Massimo right?" He asked and I simply glanced at him. Not saying a single word.

"You know what he did to Flavio? Your boyfriend-" He continued but I cut him off.

"He is not my boyfriend Rodrigo." I informed him.

I could tell he didn't like my reply by the way he grabbed me by my neck. "Massimo left him out to die." He spoke angered.

"Why are you taking your anger out on me?" I asked him calmly.

"Where does he live Serafina?" He wondered and I kept my mouth shut.

"Serafina." He called out to me and I looked up to meet his eyes.

"Where is he staying?" Rodrigo asked again and even if I wanted to reply I simply couldn't.

From the look on his face I could tell he wanted Massimo dead. The fury in his eyes will only fade if there was blood on his hands. I knew that look all too well and as naive and stupid everyone believed me to be I will not allow that. Rodrigo was angry, rightfully so. However he has already shot my brother, separated me and my family. I won't let him harm the man I'm deeply in love with.

"I'm sorry Rodrigo." I said as my eyes were glued on the table. His grip around my neck only got tighter. "You're refusing to tell me?" He wondered impressed.

"I'm not refusing. I-I just can't tell you." I told him.

"Why?" He asked angry.

"I...I love him?" It came out as a question more than a statement. I have never admitted to myself that what I felt was more than just attraction. This is the first time I'm acknowledging my feelings and  it felt weird.