Boy talk

Early this morning we made it to Charleston

Early this morning we made it to Charleston. We arrived at what we assume is the Limbrey house.

"Woah, this is beautiful!" My mouth dropped opened as Pope put the truck in park. Everyone turned their heads at me. "I mean...gross rich people."

"Yeah right. Like your house isn't on figure 8." JJ scoffed. "These kooks make our kooks look like pogues."

The four of us stepped out of the truck and made our way to the front door. We stood in front of the gate.

"Those spikes to keep people out." JJ pointed out the spikes that were at the very top of the large fence surrounding the home.

"No." Kie replied.

Pope pointed to a small home in the back. "The slave quarters are over there." He sighed before continuing. "The spikes were to keep people in."

Pope knocked loudly on the door quite a few times. "You think that was too much?"

"Of course not Pope. I think all of the world could hear you knocking." I smiled sarcastically at him.

Seconds later a man with dark brown hair opened the door. He looked to be about in his mid 30s maybe 40s. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?" Pope asked him.

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." He stated through his teeth. I couldn't help but laugh thinking about the truck breaking down. Kie nudged my arm and I immediately stopped laughing when I noticed the guy starring at me.

Pope stuttered. "Oh..i-i'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here."

"Yeah, she was, um...upset when you didn't show up. She also expected you to come alone. Your friends can stay outside." He clarified. I was getting a bad vibe from this guy.

"We're kind of a package deal, man." JJ puffed out his chest, trying to convince the guy to let us all in.

Pope said he would be okay and went inside alone. My face was clearly showing how afraid I was for him.

We walked down the stairs in front of the house and made our way to the car. "Does he think were some animals or something? Why did he say it like that?" I swung my arms at my hips.

Kie,JJ,and I sat in the truck. As we talked about Limbrey's evidence we heard the front door close and Pope, a woman, and the man at the door walked down a path.