"I testified"

Today was the day that the judge would decide John B's sentence

Today was the day that the judge would decide John B's sentence. I was nowhere near prepared. I sat in between Kie and JJ while we waited. I was sweating from all the nerves.
"He's gonna be fine." JJ softly placed his hand over mine. Kie looked over and glanced at me as we sat there.

"John Booker Routledge, persuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." The judge stated to the crowd and to John B. My heart sank. Part of me felt guilty but part of me was worried if it was Rafe in this situation and not John B.

JJ stood up clearly pissed off. "Your honor,he's 17!"

Sarah tried hugging John B one last time but the cops were being too aggressive. It was complete chaos in the court room. I walked out before anyone else was outside. I felt like I couldn't breathe and my mind was going all over the place.

"I should have never come home." Sarah angrily claimed.

As we walked out we heard a guy speak to Ward saying how sorry he was for what they were experiencing. I couldn't stand Ward but Rafe was constantly on my mind.

"Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you. He shouldn't even be in court! You should, cause you're a murderer. You have a lot of nerve showing up to court." Kie just kept giving ward and his team hell. I was proud of her honestly,someone had to say it. "It's not a coincidence that your daughters sitting with us."

Ward turned around and starred at me as him and Rose kept walking away. I looked away and continued walking with the group.

After court, we went back to the chateau to talk about what happened. It was pouring down rain and my hair was drenched.

"I'm gonna testify under oath. I was there. I just need to get a hold of my sister." Sarah was angry.

Her mentioning she wanted to testify just cause me to blurt words out. "I was there Sarah. I testified...."

"Good! So you can help get John B out!" Kie chimmed in happily.

I shook my head in embarrassment and guilt. "...I testified for Rafe. That he didn't do it."

"You what?!" JJ looked at me. I knew he felt betrayed.

*FLASHBACK*
I sat sitting in the chair of Shoupe's office with my mom and dad.