Chapter 2: New Life

P.O.V Lauren

I had only returned to Miami a week ago, but so far I hadn't found what I was looking for, a place to live.  Okay, I had Dinah's house but I wanted a place of my own where I could turn the music on high and not hear her yell "Turn off this damn thing I'm trying to hear Beyonce here", so I decided to call a real estate agency and I got a city tour looking for a nice apartment or house.

I went into a big house with the girl from the real estate agency, but that house wasn't a big deal.

- I asked for a house with furniture.

- But this is furnished Mrs. Jauregui.

- Let's go to the next one.

She took me to another house with only two rooms.

- This is a great bachelor house Mrs.

- I like space and... That couch is too hard.

- You seem very demanding.

- It's family trouble.

- Oh yes... Let's go to the last one.

We arrived at the last house that looked more like a museum than a house, with paintings on every wall and cherub statues everywhere.

- Do you think I would live here?  Not even my mother would live here.

- Excuse me....

We went down to the exit of the building and a paper flew to me and stuck to my pants, annoyed I threw the paper away while the girl from the real estate agency talked about available houses in the south of the city.  The paper came back to haunt me stuck in my face, I took off my sunglasses and read the pink paper "For rent temporarily" and strangely enough it was located across the street.  I walked while the girl followed me.

- Mrs. Jauregui?  Mrs?

- You can call me Lauren ok?

- Okay Lauren, I don't know if I can fix this house for you.

- Let's take a look and then you'll find a way.

We went up to the top floor where there was a house that was neither too big nor too small, well furnished, with neutral decor and a huge, wonderful red sofa.  I walked around the house finding a ladder connected to the roof of the balcony where I passed to a beautiful view, it was the top of the small building and from there I had a view of a good part of the block.

- Ms. Jauregui?

- What do we agree?

- Lauren... What do you think?

I was silent and went down to the living room, sitting on the sofa and feeling its softness and comfort.

- Nice view, nice sofa, ideal size.  I would shop here.

- But they are only renting and temporarily.  5 months or less.

- Give me the phone and the extra data.  I move in two days.

The woman just nodded and smiled weakly.
Dinah was furious to hear of my sudden move but the next day she helped me with the boxes and transporting things, I enjoyed that first day in the new house with peace and tranquility.  I took a long shower, ate some junk food, sat on the couch and watched a few series while I drank my beers that were running out.

I got up and went to the kitchen to get a soda from a can and when I went back to the couch I almost bumped into someone, we screamed together with fright and I stared at the girl there in front of me.

- There's nothing of value here!

The girl said looking at me scared and defensive.

- Which?  I didn't come to steal.

- So there's nothing wrong here... Just me, a little girl who has a frying pan to hit you.

- Easy girl... What are you doing here?

- I live here and you?

- Oh dear, not the rent scam...

- Rent scam?

- Yes, I bet they made us give the deposit together and disappeared with our money while we're here arguing about who lives here.

- Listen here girl, there's nothing to discuss, I live here.

- Since when?

- Since I moved sometime and...

The girl stopped and looked at the small table in the living room and soon after gave me an angry look.

- What it was?

- Look at the mess you made at my house.  Don't you know something called "Cup Rest"?  You're going to clean this up now!

Her voice grew low as she made her way to the kitchen.

- Hey girl.

- My house was invaded by a pig.

- Which?

I went into the kitchen and saw it completely empty and I felt a chill go down my spine... Where did that girl go?  There was no way out through the kitchen... I need to stop drinking...

- Girl?  Short?

I sat down on the couch and buried my face in the pillows.

.....

The next morning I called Dinah and we arranged to meet at the cafeteria that was close to her work, as always she was well dressed and looking hopeful.

-I thought she moved to get rid of me and now she calls me for coffee.  Like this?

- I didn't want to get rid of you...

- Tell me what the emergency is.

- Yesterday I met a girl...

- Wow finally got over that haunting past of yours huh friend.

- No, not that kind of girl.

- So you're dating hookers?

- Which?  not!

- Then tell me who she is.

- I don't know, because it doesn't exist.

- Now you bug me.

- I was in the living room yesterday and I went to get a soda, and when I came back I came face to face with a girl with curly hair and tanned skin.

Dinah nodded and took a notepad and pen from her bag.

- Proceed.

-And then she went in the kitchen and POF, she disappeared out of nowhere.

- A haunting?

- She was too beautiful to be a haunt.

- Go out with her.

- She's not real!

- Okay... Come on... Did you drink yesterday?

- I drank, but not enough to see things.  And stop jotting everything down on that damn notepad, we're not in one of your sessions and I'm no longer one of your patients.

- Look, this is over and Miss Haunting won't come back.  She goes home and relaxes.

- Okay DJ, thanks.

- Friends are for that.

I hugged Dinah and went home throwing myself on the couch... Was I delusional?