24.

⚠️ Triggering content ahead⚠️

Walking towards your desk with a much brighter mindset, you were thankful to Nigel and his positive words.

No matter how down you felt about the things going on around you, he always had the right words to bring your head back up towards the sky.

Taehyung seemed to perk up as soon as he saw you approaching him. Sitting up straight, he watched as you silently walked around your desk to take your seat.

"Sweetheart." Tae breathed out.

The sound of your pet name certainly caught your attention and tugged a little your heartstrings. But you could tell by the tone of his voice that what was to follow was not going to be as pleasant.

"Taehyung, I get it." You said, shaking your head as you kept your eyes on your screen. "You're not interested in me anymore. It's nothing new to me Tae. You don't need to explain."

"Actually it's the complete opposite. I am interested. Too interested. And I'm afraid that if we continue, you will only end up getting hurt and I can't do that to you. You deserve better than that so I think it's best if you just stay away."

"Don't you think that should be my choice?" You asked, cocking your eyebrow at him.

"Well yeah, but like I said, I don't want you to get hurt."

"And I told you, I'm used to it."

You slowly turned your head back towards your computer as it began to ping with the sounds of incoming emails you had missed during your lunch.

You would have preferred to sit and have it out with Taehyung for another ten hours if you needed to. But not here, not in the office full of prying eyes and itching ears. You wanted to ask him why out of all the men you had ever come to know, did he have to be the one that cared about your feelings.

It would be much easier on you if he had made his intentions known from the start. That his ultimate goal was to just get you into bed.

Congratulations Taehyung. You did it.

But he shouldn't expect you to be so friendly with him from now on. Because now in your eyes, he's just like the rest of them.

And speaking of the rest of them...

You would be lying if you said you hadn't noticed a certain amount of radio silence from a certain ex of yours. You were hopeful that he had finally grown bored of constantly putting you down or saying things that would be regarded as highly inappropriate for a married man to be saying.

You only needed to read the first few lines of his most recent email to realise that some things never change.

Hey munchkin,