moment, kiss, goodbye

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍:

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍:

"I trusted you"

For a moment Katerina looked at the door not knowing what to do, then she looked around the room until her eyes stooped at the man in front of her.

"Quickly get in that corner so they couldn't see you from the door."

She walked to the door while Kaz walked towards the corner to her left. Katerina saw him from where she was standing but at least whoever was at the door will not notice him. The redhead hoped they will not come into her room.

Katerina took a deep breath before opening her door. Ivan was standing in front of her; he seemed out of breath like he had been running.

"Did you see suspicious guards?" Katerina furrowed her eyebrows.

"Guards?"

"Three thieves dressed as guards; they were after the Sun Summoner. We got one but two are still somewhere."

Thieves dressed as Guards after Sun Summoner. Katerina opened and closed her mouth not knowing what to say. She slightly shifted her head to the left. Her eyes met the ones that belonged to the 'thief'. She saw something flash in his eyes, was that regret? Or she merely imagined it?

"Yes, I did see someone..." The redhead was still looking at Kaz who widened his eyes, scared of what will happen next. Katerina turned to face Ivan. "... I saw one suspicious Guard at the back of the Little Palace, near the lake." The Heartrender nodded his head and with a quick 'thank you' disappeared into another hallway.

Katerina slowly closed the door not sparing a glance in Kaz's direction.

"Katerina I... "

"You what?" She turned to face the man and now she was sure that there was regret in his eyes. Katerina's mind was occupied with the thoughts of her childhood friend and that she had a chance to see him after all this time, that she didn't even think about finding out why exactly he was here in the Little Palace. The redhead was swaying her head while letting out a bitter laugh. "Of course, you were after her. You are not that kind of thief who would just break into Palace to steal some trinkets or see the show."

She stared him down until she couldn't anymore. Her glare disappeared and a frown appeared instead.

Kaz watched how Katerina's mean exterior literally shattered like glass that had been smashed with the hammer. In this case, Kaz was the hammer and for some reason, he was disappointed in himself. He suddenly felt... guilty?

"I trusted you." A whisper that almost flew past the young man's ears. One tear that from now on will haunt Kaz. You did it. You made her cry.