home sweet home?

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘:

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘:

"you can never be too careful when it comes to the barrel"

Ketterdam certainly had its charms. Once Katerina disembarked from the ship, that was the only point she made to herself. Only when they reached the Barrel did Katerina's mind started to conjure question after question. The redhead wondered, among other things, if it was indeed safe to walk through these streets. She has undoubtedly grown accustomed to Ravka and its generally secure atmosphere.

The redhead also observed that not many locals appeared to recognize her, which suggests that they don't know what they're dealing with. Katerina was both relieved and horrified by the thought. On the one hand, Kirigan will have a harder time finding her if fewer people know about her and her whereabouts. But on the other hand, the redhead sensed how many men looked at her like she was a shiny new toy on the shelf that they can just take without permission and play with.

But the redhead knew she could rely on her abilities, regardless of how uneasy she felt. She is going to use them if necessary. Without second thought.

The group of four turned a bend and came to a sharp stop. Katerina glanced at the other three, perplexed, and then looked ahead.

"Where's our sign?"

Katerina looked at Jesper, who spoke first, before turning to look at the sign hanging from the archway.

"It's been replaced." Replied Kaz.

The redhead pointed at the green, round sign and looked at the rest.

"I suppose that's not your sign?" She once again glanced at it and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know; green's my favorite color, so..."

She cast a quick glance at Kaz, who turned to face the redhead, an expression on his face that caused Katerina to reconsider.

"Yeah, it's not that pretty anyway."

"The Kaelish Prince?"

"What sort of name is that?"

Katerina was perplexed since, well, this was unfamiliar ground for her. She had a lot of information to learn about the Barrel and its laws, assuming any existed at all. The redhead looked at Kaz, who appeared to be concentrating on a guard near the entrance.

"The Dime Lions."

Inej showed her confusion. "Pekka Rollins owns the Crow Club."

"Where does that leave us?" Katerina could hear a hint of desperation in Jesper's voice. "Are you saying we have no home?"

"Join the club." Katerina mumbled while glancing around at the crooked buildings. "It seems my luck has run out."

The redhead noticed that Kaz seemed to be deep in his thoughts. Katerina was aware that such an occurrence was never favorable.