c1.03: granted

If being around Kai Kingston was stressful, then his dad was on another level

I sat opposite the old man and watched him sip his coffee in such calmness, contrasting my anxious self. A maid came to collect the cup and returned with a glass of water and a pill.

“So, Melanie, where do you study?” he started.

“I… haven’t got the chance to enrol in any university yet due to my busy schedule and narrow financials.”

The man nodded understandingly. “Your mother said you had always been from the top three back in school. That’s some admirable determination that shan’t be wasted.”

After all, studying to hold a degree was all I could do to save myself in society and guarantee myself a respectful job. I didn’t want to end up serving people. I wanted my mum proud of me, but I had yet to save money to attend university.

“What do you think about enrolling in Kingston University?” the man suggested.

My interest was earned, so I looked up to him. “Me? Sir, I’m sure you know I can’t afford that even with offers and discounts. Your university is an extraordinary educational institute,” I reasoned in the most respectful way I could.

Weirdly enough, his offer sounded like a challenge more than an opportunity. As if telling me not only did I not have the money to enrol, but I also wouldn’t fit among kids of the higher class. That would demand rejection from me. I knew better than to embarrass myself.

The man laughed as if my financial status was a joke to him. “I’m granting you a full scholarship, Melanie.”

\

“I don’t want it, Mum. Do they think they can buy our dignity with their money just because we are in need? I’m fine with my part-time jobs currently until I have enough money,” I whispered-shouted to my mum in our room, eyebrows furrowed in anger.

“Mel, you’re not going to be the only girl with a scholarship in that university. It’s not special treatment for you!” my mum reasoned. She already called me ungrateful. “Look, don’t reply now. Take your time to think, and don’t rush your decision. I’ll go buy groceries now. Just… take a shower and think well,” she advised and left me alone in the packed room.

I plopped down on the swivel chair and punched the desk. Mum was right, and so I was. Just like I had no reason to reject, I had no reason to accept as well. Mum didn’t understand how difficult it would be for me to be dissimilar from the majority of the rich kids there. I wouldn’t fit. I’d be that one poor girl who couldn’t even afford to buy their expensive lunch menu. Mum didn’t understand all of that… I wasn’t about to throw myself in situations I couldn’t manage.