c3.24: conversed

Their friend circle was wider than what I knew of

My occupied mind back in the cafeteria missed the part when Massie told me she would invite more friends I didn’t know. They were high school friends who studied in different universities. Jay, a black guy with afro hair and a pearly smile, and Jason, a redhead with curly hair, emerald eyes, and freckles all over his muscular body. He walked around proudly in a loose tank top.

Massie got us all travelling in one bus. She promised she was taking us to a lovely place, where her family owned a house with a pool. She wanted to have that vacation with her friends over the weekend as the weather got warmer before her birthday party. I was flattered she considered me as close as her long-term friends.

My seat was beside Ryan. I stayed there, hugging my bag and caving on myself. I avoided Kai and Kim, and I had no desire to converse with the two new guys beyond introducing ourselves. Nonetheless, they were friendly and looked interested in chatting. I stuck to Massie and mostly Ryan to stay in my comfort zone.

It had been two nights I slept away from Kai’s. I wasn’t sure whether he awaited my response on his invitation to talk, or he dropped it altogether. I let him be because I knew no other way to handle the situation. Ryan and Massie encouraged me to speak to him, but I insisted he needed to apologise before anything.

However, I was reconsidering my strategy seeing as Kim was taking advantage of my distancing from Kai. She tried to talk to him, but he mostly gave her the cold shoulder. She pushed herself on him even though he plugged in his EarPods to make her go away. Jealousy was getting the best of me when my teeth gritted, and I squeezed my thighs harder together. My toes curled in my sandals. I couldn’t help but start wondering whether she knew where he lived and went to his place too.

“Easy there,” Jason popped beside me and made the seat dip.

I blinked at him. I instinctively shifted away as much as the space allowed me. I willed my face to stay straight and not make any annoyed expressions.

“Aren’t you Kai’s girlfriend?” he asked, a smirk playing on his lips.

I nodded curtly, although I wasn’t sure anymore with another girl letting herself get so close to him in my presence. If Jason pushed me further, I was so going to snap.

“Then why are you letting Kimberlee this close to him? Not trying to tell you what to do, but you shouldn’t let her. I don’t like her anymore… if you know what I mean.”

I nodded again and took in a breath, remembering the prank. “It’s just… We’re not on good terms right now. I dunno what to do,” I reasoned.

He gave me a scrutinising look. I felt edgy under his searching, green eyes. “From what Ryan told me about you, you sounded more… feisty. But you look like a deer letting a lion have her lunch from you now. He’s your boyfriend! Go get him, girl.” He nudged me.