c3.28: bickered

Massie visited my place

She helped me tidy my kitchen and brought in some ingredients, so we could ‘bake’ together. I had told her I wasn’t motivated, but she claimed she could make me. Well, she was relatively correct. The silicon bear baking pan was cute. I wanted to know how a cake would look like as a bear stuffed with Nutella.

She brought a film we could watch together as well. A girls-night-in, she alleged. She was putting too much effort into cheering me up; I felt sorry for her attempts going in vain. Each of us sprawled herself on a wing of the corner sofa, popping popcorn in our mouths. The movie was a rom-com, without the com part.

Or I was merely too gloomy for it.

She threw popcorn my way. “If that scene didn’t make you laugh, I dunno what will.”

Kai’s corny jokes will.

I picked the piece she threw and threw it back at her. “How’s Kai?” I asked the question I had been itching to ask, “You visited him, no?”

I tried to have my time away for both our sakes to think better of our relationship. I even avoided him in university. Still, I sometimes wondered if I rushed my independence decisions. Maybe I rushed everything too fast for Kai to understand me, and that was why he came out with a bad reaction. Perhaps I should’ve done it gradually.

She shrugged. “He’s fine. Yeah, I checked on him the other day at his place. Was a mess, if you care to know, but I helped him tidy up.”

A mess… Wasn’t that how the places of upset people were like?

“Did you try to make him food too?”

“Yeah, don’t worry. He even asked me to assist him on how to bake biscuits.”

Oh… Maybe he wasn’t doing as terrible as I thought without me. “Did he… Did he ask about me?”

She nodded. “Just like you are now. Don’t worry; it’s a part of the process. I see your potential, guys. I trust you’ll bloom into a healthy relationship after this break. You’ll understand each other better.”

What if we didn’t even come out of that in one piece, in a relationship, anyway? The thought kept me awake at night. I wondered if our whole bond was wrong to establish in the first place. We lived in a dream at first, and then it was the nightmare stage. What if it was just sexual attraction? No, it couldn’t be that. I felt things I didn’t feel for any other than Kai.

In a passing thought, if Kai were to leave me, I’d only have Ryan left as a man in my life.

I swallowed and nodded bitterly. “I… miss him. Sometimes, I regret things.”

She didn’t comment. I wondered what was going on in her head and what she honestly thought of the recent events, especially when our issue occurred during her birthday vacation. I wished she gave me more insight into his thoughts about me.