c3.30: talked

“Happy birthday, Massie!”

The place filled with everyone’s ovations and happy wishes to Massie Williams as the clock hit midnight. They carried her up and spun her around while the girl squealed and giggled in happiness.

I watched from afar, sipping on my cocktail. I would have helped throw her around if my arm didn’t hurt still, but that was fine. Massie was genuinely happy, and that was all that mattered. I smiled to myself, watching them put her down to the floor again. She was the girl I grew too close to that I could call her my best friend.

Among the crowd, an afro-head stood out from everyone else with his lingering gaze on the birthday girl. Jay had one hand tucked in his pocket, and another was holding his drink as his eyes followed every move Massie did.

I made a brave, tipsy move when I walked up to him and stood by his side. “She’s beautiful, isn’t she?” I spoke with Jay.

For a second, he got flustered, fumbling with his drink, and looking for words to say. “Uh, yeah. I was just about to get a refill. Shall I?” Jay offered to fill mine too.

I shook my head sideways. “Not planning to get drunk. Are you?”

He shrugged. “I have a high tolerance.”

I laughed to myself, remembering how drunk he was back at the villa. We walked side by side to the bar counter. On my way, I spotted Kai on a sofa, but I pretended I didn’t. He looked a little more than tipsy. Ryan was on his side. I hoped they were making up after their last bicker.

At the counter, we found Jason with his girlfriend, Lilly, a beautiful pale blonde. She came from far away specially to attend Massie’s. A little after that party, Jay and that couple would go back to where they lived. I was sure I’d miss the two men. The vacation with them, despite my problem with Kai, was enjoyable. Jay made a good caterer, and Jason was a cooperative individual as well.

“Mel!” Jason chirped once he saw me. His emerald pupils were dilated and looked heavy with intoxication. “Ever since this party has started, I’m waiting for you to notice it. I think you’re drunk too early to notice.”

I blinked at him. “I’m not that drunk. What are you talking about?”

He chuckled, propping himself on the counter. “Did you see Kim anywhere?” he slurred with his raspy voice.

A second of thinking and recall told me I actually didn’t spot her anywhere. “Did she not come?”

He grinned. “Nah, she did. She just left early.” He winked.

I understood it was his work. I smiled at him, appreciating his effort, but deep down, I was a confused dumbfúck. I had no idea what to do or say to Kai after we last collided in the hospital, even if she was no longer in my way. I felt weak getting help from this and that in my situation. I was clearly unable to handle it alone. I was not as strongly independent as I thought I could be.