c1.10: convinced

As if the university wasn’t enough pain in the arse, a camping and hiking trip was announced

Students gathered around the bulletin board to read the details. I had already read it when I came early in the morning. The fees were all covered by sponsors of the trip, so everyone had the chance to join. They only needed to fill out an application. Though it was a paid trip, I couldn’t leave my night shifts, or my salary would be deducted.

An arm slung around my shoulder, and a voice inquired, “Mel, you’re coming, right?”

I didn’t understand since when Massie thought she could get casual with me. I wasn’t even keen about creating friendships in a place where I didn’t fit in.

“I’m not sure,” I answered bitterly.

She gave me a tight smile then looked behind us. Kai and Ryan were there. I couldn’t help but look away once my eyes met Ryan’s.

“Kai, Ryan?” Massie pushed.

“Yes,” Ryan said.

“No,” Kai said.

I frowned, observing Kai. The question escaped my lips without my approval, “Why?”

Massie gave me an incredulous look, but we all wanted to know the answer. I pitied her high hopes of being with her friend. I just happened to be the first to ask whether she liked it or not.

He shrugged and tucked his hands in his pockets. “Just not my thing. Besides, I assume Mum would prefer I stay with her, you know.”

No, I didn’t know. Clearly, that wasn’t directed to me; I wasn’t involved in whatever he talked about. It made my interest and curiosity about Kai uncontainable. However, I needed to keep a reasonable distance between us. I needed to remember my hardworking mother.

On my way to work, I was fidgety in my seat. Frank was nice enough to take me to the restaurant that afternoon.

“Frank, do you know where Kai was last year?” I interrogated the driver.

Frank didn’t utter a word.

“I know you aren’t allowed to reveal this too, but I feel as if it would be beneficial for me to know. I promise I’ll keep it to myself,” I encouraged the man to speak.

“I’m not one to mingle in what doesn’t mean anything to me, dear,” the man said in a fatherly tone.

I gulped, feeling him reprimand me for butting in. That still didn’t hold my curiosity back. My gut feeling couldn’t be denied. From the rear-view mirror, I could see the hint of a sad smile on his face, but he managed to look straight still.

“Kingston Jr had some time for himself,” he cut through the silence again.

That spacious mansion, his whole suite, wasn’t big enough for him to feel… alone? Private? The way wealth played with one’s humility was unbelievable.