c1.12: gifted

I woke up to the sun shining right into my eyes

When I sat up, I found I had slept in the backseat of a car, a car bigger than Kai’s from the night before. I squinted my eyes, taking in the surroundings. I felt something cold pierce my chest. When I took a look, it was a golden necklace with a pendant that read ‘Angel’. Additionally, my first name was engraved on the back of it with cursive writing.

I giggled. Maybe I should think of a mansion next time, just like I thought of a necklace on my first day in the mansion. I touched the pendant with a smile, knowing indeed who put it around my neck. I just wished he did it while I was awake in a special moment.

The driver’s door opened, and Frank’s head came into sight. “You’re awake. Finally,” he said. He sounded as if he waited a lot.

I nodded, letting my hair hide my face. “Where’s Kai?”

“He left urgently. You’re in my hands now.” He smiled kindly, his wrinkles filling his face. He rode in. “Want to go home now?”

“Am I not supposed to go back with the rest as I came?”

“When you’re in a Kingston’s care, you don’t need to worry about these things.”

“Ryan and Massie will be worried.”

“Ryan knows, and he’ll tell Massie.”

Dang, so that was how it was like to have wealth and power?

The way back home in a car was much easier and more comfortable than in the bus with other sweaty, smelly bodies. The car ride was peaceful, so I had a better chance of observing my surroundings, cuddled up cosily in a blanket. The forest was beautiful and mesmerising; I felt bad for not giving it a chance for the past week. I loved the hues of the colour green.

When I was finally back home, I was interrogated by Mum and Mrs Kingston about how the trip was. They weren’t aware of the way I came back. I wondered where Kai was, however. I couldn’t wait to see him, but I knew I wouldn’t anytime soon since I was told they were having guests.

‘I’ll visit your library. I hope you don’t mind xx,’ I sent him.

I opened the door and lit up the room. The familiar smell of papers hit my nostrils, and I sneezed.

“Bless you,” he said behind me.

I turned around and saw him in another captivating suit of his, one hand in his pocket. It was beige, closer to caramel-brown like his neat hair that begged my fingers to run through it. His broad, enchanting smile showed his pearly teeth. His silver-grey eyes shone with passion. I couldn’t believe he was mine in all his glory.

I smiled. “Kai!” I walked over to him and hugged him. He smelled of expensive fragrance.

“Hey, Angel.” He pecked my temple.

I pulled away from him a little, still in his arms. “Thank you for the necklace. It’s gorgeous and holds meaning.”

He cupped my cheeks and pecked my lips. “I was putting it around your neck while we kissed in the car, but you fell asleep in my arms, and I didn’t wanna take it off. It looked as if it finally found its rightful spot.” He touched the pendant. “It really suits you.”

“You have such a taste, I must say.” I put my hand over his.

“Ah, no, you make it beautiful.”

Kai’s phone rang in his pocket. I pulled away and let him pick up, wandering off to check the bookshelves. When he finished the call, I faced him again and asked who was coming.

“It’s Ryan’s family. They want to come to visit after my comeback,” he explained, hiding the phone in his pocket. “Mellie, I think it’s safe to tell you don’t have to hide anything from Ryan. He’s a good guy and a long-term friend. That’s only if you want to, of course.”

I gulped. “There is no need to tell. He already knows my workplace. That’s enough.”

Kai agreed with a nod. “I’m sorry I’m not able to spend time with you right now. Do you… wanna come up to my room after they leave? No school tomorrow. We could spend the night together.” he suggested.

I breathed in, pondering the hint behind his idea. “Yeah, why not.”

\

Mum’s kind hands braided my auburn waves before she went for her work.

“Mum, what do you feel about me dating again?” I suggested calmly.

She took a while to reply, “I thought you wanted a break after Max, sweetie.”

“It’s been three months,” I justified.

“If that’s enough time for you, then go ahead. You’re an adult, Mel. You’re twenty soon! I can’t wait to celebrate the milestone.” She reached the ends of my hair. “You have your own choice. I’m only here to guide you.”

I smiled to myself.

“But who’s the lucky guy?”

My smile went off. “Er, no one. I’m just discussing it with you.”

She got up to wear her work fit. “Well, they have important guests tonight too, darling. Stay in your room.”

I nodded, playing with my braid.

“Who bought you that necklace?” she asked, putting her feet in her slippers. Her calmness was surprising to me.

“Me. It’s not real gold,” I lied.

Mum nodded curtly and left the room. I decided to shower and do some yoga, but she rushed back into the room shortly after, interrupting my plans.

“Are you okay?” I wondered.

Her face was pale, and she seemed shaky. I would classify her state as scared. I had rarely seen her like that, only when she met the landlord, and he asked for the due rent. That was impossible while we stayed at the Kingstons’, however.

She nodded briefly. “I am. I just feel dizzy, so I excused myself from tonight’s service.”

Worry contoured my features. She was fine just a few minutes before. Her excuse didn’t settle right with me; there had to be something bigger bothering her to the point she was that shaky. Mum had never hidden something from me, the only person in her life, so I expected clearer answers.

I walked up to her and held her shoulders. “Mum, are you sure this is normal?”

She nodded again, only harder. “I just need a shower and some rest, please.” She dismissed me and entered the toilet.

She was definitely hiding something, but if she needed to feel comfortable first before revealing it to me, then I would wait.

. . .

I'm very thankful to everyone showering this book with love and support 🤗 it means a lot to me on my first book of such genre.

Expectations and predictions?

vote, comment and share xx