c1.11: courted

The bus took off at the camping site

I was hoping an obstacle would come our way to make us return to where we came from, but things didn’t work the way I wanted them to. Massie practically dragged me to come along, claiming she needed a female friend. I didn’t want to go without Kai after he didn’t answer me clearly, but Mum encouraged me to loosen up, and Massie didn’t take no for an answer as well. They claimed I shouldn’t miss the fun as well.

I trod off the vehicle, all tired and dizzy. “I can’t wait to put up the tent,” I whined, primarily to myself.

“I’ll do it for you,” Ryan popped beside me, scaring me.

I gave him a look from behind my shoulder as I walked. “Since when have you been this close?”

He wore a goofy grin. “Since you farted and tried to hide it.”

I grimaced. Was he crazy?

“Alright, bad joke. Just wait for me to put up the tent. You’ll sleep with Massie, right?”

I nodded. I didn’t need to mention she practically forced me.

Ryan mounted up the tent while Massie was… touching up her makeup as though she was used to people doing things for her, or as if the animals in the forest cared about her cakey face. I tried to help the guy as much as I could, but he seemed good on his own.

“Done. Have a great night, ladies. Long day ahead of us.”

I thanked Ryan then fished out my phone to text Kai, ‘I wish you came with us. The weather is lovely. Hope you’re doing well still xx.’

He left the text on seen. I felt a little hurt, but I assured myself he’d reply later. I believed Kai was a nice guy. He wouldn’t rudely leave a text not responded to.

Yet he did. I sent him a text every day during the week, and he left them all on seen.

‘I fell during hiking and hurt my knee, haha. I really shouldn’t have come. I should’ve fought Massie. How about you? What are you doing alone?’ -Sat, seen.

‘Ryan is such a sweetheart. You guys are lucky to be his friends. He took care of my wound.’ -Sun, seen.

‘Why are you not replying? Are you okay? Are you overthinking? Kai… imissyou.’ -Mon, seen.

‘Is everything okay? Is it even you who’s leaving my texts on seen?’ -Tue, seen.

‘I’m confused. I don’t really know what I feel. What you’re doing isn’t helping either, but I miss you still. Do you miss me too?’ -Wed, seen.

‘Alright, I give up. You do you. I’m sorry for bothering you. See you tomorrow.’ -Thu, seen.

It was a tough week. It felt longer with the thoughts of Kai not leaving my mind. He awaited a decision from me yet wasn’t cooperating. Moreover, I couldn’t sleep at night. The bug spray didn’t work as well as it promised, or maybe it was because I brought an almost empty bottle that only had two sprays. I couldn’t sleep well since I was forced to attend a mosquito orchestra I didn’t approve of. Massie, on the other hand, slept like a log with a satin eye-mask.