c3.19: surprised

There were times Kingston University looked more like a high school

The students were crowded in front of the bulletin board. Even if I was curious to know why, the feeling would be gone once I saw the unhealthy sharing of breaths in the crowd.

“The annual auction is soon,” Massie appeared beside me, startling me.

“Auction?” I repeated.

She nodded. Her hands were tucked in her creaseless baby pink coat. “The Kingstons do an auction for charity annually. They sell donated antiques and donate the profit to charity.”

I nodded. “But what is so interesting about this for university students?”

She shrugged. “Nothing, really. It’s just another event we treat as an opportunity to loosen up and party. Not too much loosening, though.” She giggled. “Will you come? Kai is the grand opener this year.”

I’d have loved to loosen up, but I still felt uneasy about partying yet. “I’ll see if I can.”

I didn’t own up to my answer. Once I was back home, Frank was waiting to take me to a salon. Kai had given me no choice as he set up everything. I hoped he had good reasoning behind not asking me whether I wanted to come.

I got my light makeup and auburn hair done by a lovely stylist called Jade. She was sweet, boosting my confidence with comments on my natural beauty every now and then.

When I was done, a beautiful sleeved, long red dress was waiting for me. It was open from one leg side. Jade said Kai had picked it himself for me, claiming it matched my skin tone and personality. I thought I agreed with him.

When I was fully ready, I was escorted to a room where he waited for me. The double doors opened to my guy’s back, who was dressed in a black tuxedo, his hair neatly pulled back, showing his forehead.

“Kai,” I purred.

He turned around and gave me a once over. A smile spread across his plump lips. He strode his way to me and hugged me. “Gorgeous, baby.”

“You didn’t even ask me if I wanted to come.” I giggled. “But thank you for the treat.”

Kai pecked my lips. He picked a jewellery box from a table. The ‘Angel’ necklace came out of the box. “It’s for this. Look what I found.”

“Kai!” I gasped, wondering how he could find it and have it still with him till that very moment. I hugged him tightly. “How did you find it?”

He pulled away and clasped it around my neck. “How do people find things, Mellie? They look for them. Massie and I did.”

I giggled, feeling the cold material dangle on my chest. “This has honestly made my day. Thank you.” I tiptoed and kissed the guy.

“Let’s go now, shall we?”