c3.21: pretended

Not only did she want her ex-boyfriend back, but her friends as well

Kimberlee Morris was back in Kingston University as though she never left anyway. I saw students greet her here and there, complimenting her courage of coming out alive from such a ‘risk’, oblivious to what she had done to Kai Kingston. She didn’t bother to tell anyone the truth and enjoyed being in the spotlight.

She was lucky Kai was kind enough to dismiss the whole topic, or her popularity would turn into something nasty enough to ruin her educational path. I thought the Kingstons were too nice to her compared to what they did to me. I didn’t even hurt their son as much as she did.

I observed her back while she sat beside Massie in the lecture hall, where I usually sat beside the girl. I was one row behind, watching her shoulder-length ginger hair elegantly move in big curls around her shoulders. Her sleeveless seaweed-green top revealed seamless skin wrapped around her squared shoulders. I couldn’t understand how she was comfortable in that revealing top in the cold even if summer was approaching. She conversed with her… friend, I supposed. Although Massie looked uncomfortable and tense, Kim kept blabbing.

“What’s up?” Ryan piped from beside me.

I flinched then blinked at him, shifting in my seat. “Since when have you been sitting beside me?”

I wasn’t exactly comfortable around Ryan yet. Looking at him as my half-brother instead of a friend from then on felt odd. It wasn’t an easy change to realise someone from my own blood and flesh was there all along, but I never knew.

He chuckled. “Since you started cracking your fingers at the sight of these two.”

I gulped. He caught me red-handed in my habit of anxiousness. “I’ll… freshen up in the toilet. I feel sleepy,” I excused myself and mumbled for him to watch over my textbooks.

“Are you okay?” he asked, and I nodded, already walking away.

When I arrived at the toilet, I rushed to splash my face with chilly water. I leant on the counter, deep in thought and assumptions of how our next days would be like. Kim obviously brought trouble with her. She wouldn’t settle with leaving Kai and I alone. I had to think of ways to stay out of potential trouble. My life was already a mess.

The door opened, indicating the arrival of more girls. I didn’t give it much attention until the redhead stood right beside me.

“Melanie,” she pronounced my name slower than it should be.

I fixed myself and faced her with my best courageous demeanour. “What do you want?”

She folded her arms against her chest. Her manicured fingers tapped her forearm in rhythm. “Since when are you together?” she asked straightforwardly through gritted teeth. I took it she meant Kai and I. “And what have you done to Massie? Do you hold dirt on her to make her not tell me a thing?” Her brows knitted. “And Ryan —he doesn’t even wanna look my way! They’re my friends.”