c1.05: blocked

My first week went fine

The professors were excellent, and the lectures sounded promising. I enjoyed what I studied: the laboratory classes, practical classes, and projects.

In the morning, I went to university, and at night, I worked my shifts in the burger place. It was tough, and I barely spent time with my mum, in the mansion, or even saw Kai, but that was how my life worked. I only went to school with Kai on the first day to memorise my way there, and for the rest of the week, I went afoot and enjoyed the morning breeze with a travel mug of caffeine.

I shared some lectures with Ryan, who seemed eager to know me better, perhaps for the race we shared. I studied computer science, and he studied computer engineering, so we shared some subjects. He was kind and outgoing and even invited me to a few meals with him, which I mostly rejected due to my tight schedules. Kai turned out to be studying business intelligence, and Massie did artificial intelligence.

No one knew anything about my personal life, however, except Kai. It was an unspoken agreement between us that no one needed to know about my background or whereabouts, and that was one reason I preferred not to come to school with him. I chose to go early on my own before anyone could see what direction I came from.

Although the university held a prestigious image, it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Everyone minded their own business and didn't mingle in what meant nothing to them. I guessed that was a part of maturity, unlike high school.

"Isn't it better if you spend your time in my library, kitten?" Kai appeared from behind a bookcase with a backpack slung on one arm.

I already got used to his nicknames, so it didn't bother me anymore. I studied for an hour every day in the library after my school day because it had the best atmosphere. Better than the small room back at the mansion and saved me time from going back and forth between university, home, and work.

I shut my laptop lid on the table, where I had been testing some code. "First, what are you doing here? I wasn't expecting you. Massie was supposed to come study with me. Second, you and I know the answer to that is a no," I answered. "And stop drinking that. No food in the library." I gave him a judgemental look.

His facial expression hardened. "This is my spot, Mellie, and everyone knows better not to sit here. You've taken it from me ever since you joined this university."

So that well-lit place with a window hovering over the garden and a tree outside shielding me from the sun was his spot? That explains some weird looks I received.

"You could've told me..." I blushed. "You don't look like someone who studies, though, Kai."

He smirked and smashed the drink cartoon in his big hand. "I don't, not really. I like reading, remember?"

I blushed. The word reading took me back to memories of his library. My lips tingled from the remembrance of his unforgettable kiss. I unconsciously bit on the soft flesh of my lips.