c3.20: loved

Living in poor neighbourhoods that were filled with criminals contributed to my excellent self-defence skills

“Are you crazy?” the redhead yelled, rubbing her shoulders where I had pushed her to the floor.

Kai beside me was frozen to his spot with a horrid expression as if he had just seen a horrible car accident. I knew –I felt– she was forcing herself on him from the way he wasn’t kissing back and looked tensed, so I took it upon myself to push her away. Still, Kai had a lot to explain.

I almost wanted to straddle her then strangle her to death. “Are you crazy? Do you kiss just any guy like that?”

She got up and dusted herself. “I kissed my boyfriend, you dumb bítch!”

I stopped in my tracks, my hard face changing into an expressionless, flushed-red one. I looked to Kai’s way, who looked equally horrified.

“She is not!” he yelled his first words in his defence, negating her words and finally showing where he stood in that madness. He looked her way with blazing eyes. “Kimberlee, who invited you here? Heck, when did you wake up?!”

Kim.

She ignored his questions. “What do you mean? I was in the hospital for over a year and went through months of physical therapy”—she looked my way— “Then come out to find you cheating?!”

My heart was palpitating unhealthily faster. I needed fresh air and a snap to reality to tell me that all was merely a nightmare. Nothing made sense.

Massie stormed into the picture with Ryan, seeming to be told of the drama happening backstage. Kai was probably late to open the auction. They both looked equally shocked.

“Kim, oh God.” Massie’s fist clenched and unclenched, little wrinkles starting to appear on her face. “When did you come back?” she asked the first thing.

“Dear Lord.” Kim touched her forehead. “Why’s everyone asking that instead of how are you, Kim?

“Because you were never meant to come back,” Kai answered, surprising all of us.

Her glossy eyes mirrored pain. “I thought… I thought you’d wait for me…” she stammered. Her throat bobbed as she gulped.

“I did,” he seethed through gritted teeth. “And God, it was so long. But I discovered you didn’t deserve me.”

Kai took my hand and stormed out of the place. I was fazed, still trying to process the scene that occurred in front of me while we walked through people and bumped into some. We passed by his parents, whose calls went unheard by my determined boyfriend.

He called Frank to bring a car for us, and he did. Kai helped me in and rode on the other side, driving off without caring for the journalists.

“What just happened?” I asked, but he didn’t answer.