c2.14: robbed

I lost the pendant in less than forty-eight hours

I lost the pendant in less than forty-eight hours. I probably deserved a prize.

I searched for it around every corner of my room and Kai’s but to no avail. I only took it off because it got tangled in my hair. Kai was going to be disappointed I lost an item that was highly valued emotionally and monetarily. Just because he had the cash, it didn’t mean he was willing to throw it around. I knew it cost a lot.

I debated whether I should make a dummy copy of it till I found it; I was that paranoid, but I knew he’d notice. Gold had a different shine, and he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth. He would know better. It wasn’t that small of an item, though—where could it have gone?

I wore a turtleneck at home and in school, basically all the time, to hide my bare neck. I even avoided Kai’s intimate pecks and hugs often to prevent myself from getting exposed. I felt irresponsible, terrible. Not one moment passed with me forgetting I lost it. I couldn’t enjoy eating or sleeping anymore.

My biggest concern was whether it fell in the hands of the wrong person: someone who could recognise its monetary value, then see my name on the back and be sure I wouldn’t be the one to buy it. Definitely, someone else would buy such an expensive item for me—someone like a wealthy boyfriend I shouldn’t be dating in the first place.

On Monday, I dealt with Massie to meet up in the library and study together again. I had no idea how to focus on her and whatever she was about to study with me, but I shouldn’t neglect my studies. I hoped I would be distracted a little as well.

While I was chewing on my pen’s head, Massie rounded the corner and came up to me, and then I found my lost item. My eyes widened in disbelief, and the world was still for a second. It was around her neck. It couldn’t be mistaken—that was mine. Yet, she came up to me with one of the biggest smiles I had seen on her face as if she knew what she was doing. I felt trouble running my way.

No, no! This isn’t the right time and place. This isn’t the right way for her to know!

“Massie…” I murmured, my lips gaping at her. My throat went dry, so I couldn’t say anything else.

“Melanie.” Something about the way she said my name was different; it made me shake in anxiety as I couldn’t predict her next move or word. She pulled the chair beside me and took a seat. The proximity suffocated me. The brunette head intertwined her hands together and probed, “How does it feel like to make a fool out of someone who did nothing but help you?” She sported a fake, menacing smile again.

I was tongue-tied, but I ought to try my best. Maybe it was time to try and tell her the truth. “Massie, I—”

She slapped me with all her might. “Shut up. I’ll do the talking here.”

Breathe, Melanie.

I held my red cheek and my tears in surprise. My face throbbed with the burning pain. I wished for the ground to split open and swallow me whole. I was not one to bear such encounters. No one ever raised their hand on me. I have never done something worth such a reaction. I didn’t know what to do, mainly because I knew I did wrong. I should’ve told her Kai and I had a thing running. If I were her, I’d feel like a joke too.