c1.07: locked

I finally knew the use behind the scented candles and the perfume bottles in an erotica library

Mrs Kingston picked her son out of the room and made him leave me there until God knew when. We had bathed ourselves with perfume to mask the smell of sin —only then I knew why he kept those bottles in an erotica library.

I still had hope, however. He wouldn’t forget me there, would he? It seemed as if I waited for nothing still. I had my phone, but the signal was terrible in the basement. An hour had almost passed without a glimpse of the guy. I was getting dizzy and thought my end would be in that toilet. I didn’t want that. I knew my mum was probably worried sick about me.

I was almost falling into oblivion when the door opened. Kai was behind it, his looks blurry to my vision.

“Mellie, fúck. I’m sorry,” I heard him say.

He came up to me and picked me up from the toilet seat, where I was sitting. I was sweaty that I got uncomfortable when he was close to me, but I wasn’t awake enough to object. I held onto the guy for dear life. A few minutes later, I felt myself getting laid on a solid surface. I took in a much-needed breath and tried to open my eyes.

“Drink this.” He handed me a bottle of water. “And eat this.” He gave me a chocolate bar.

I rubbed my temples. I rejected and pushed him away. “Fúck you. I could’ve died there.”

He scowled. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want to put you in an awkward situation with my mum, so I had to wait. I told our mums you had a walk outside, though.”

I approved of the last part. “I’ll forgive you just for that one.”

He nodded, smiling. “Will you take these now?”

Bottled water never looked more attractive to me. I took it and chugged it down in three rounds. I sighed in satisfaction. “Thanks. We should go to bed now, I guess?” I remarked.

Kai nodded, sliding the chocolate bar on my side. He got up, leaned in, and pecked me briefly. “Thank you for accompanying me tonight, kitten.”

That was when the feeling sank in.

Fear.

I tossed and rolled in bed. I watched my mum opposite of me, sleeping soundlessly. I knew she was going through hard days to impress them and stabilise her job, and she was going to keep doing it whether I liked it or not.

This is not okay. While Mum was building, I was wrecking.

It wasn’t okay to do those kinds of things with mum’s employers’ son. I was being irresponsible to my family and our well-being. As unfair as it sounded, those people had enough power to play with our lives like puppets in case we did anything not to their liking, which I certainly was.