c2.16: blacked

⚠️ TW: MENTION OF DEATH, A FUNERAL & SUICIDE AHEAD

. . .

I had never worn all-black my whole life.

I sat in the front row of the funeral home. I had never mourned over a family member. I had never lost a loved one. Mum was my everything: my family, friend, and helper, yet she left me willingly in the blink of an eye without logical reasoning. She was the only reason I would wear black.

If I had been anxious about being judged for being the maid’s daughter before, that day, I was anxious about being pitied by them for being the suicidal’s daughter. I preferred they knew I was the maid’s daughter rather than being pitied for the suicide of the said maid.

I knew I hadn’t been the best daughter in her last days. I knew I had never been one, to begin with, but did I deserve that severe of a punishment? Was she upset to the point that she didn’t want to see me anymore? Like she was my everything, I was hers too. I couldn’t think of any different reason why she left other than me.

Kai touched my shoulder, and I flinched. “Don’t,” I whispered, squeezing my thighs.

I didn’t want to be consoled. It only reminded me she was very much gone. I preferred to stay trapped in my thoughts, still hearing her voice call me, talk to me, even if it was just in my sick head.

I barely knew anyone in the ceremony, only a few colleagues from the university. The rest were Kingston acquaintances consoling them for such an unfortunate event that happened in their residence. It was ironic to be at the funeral of your most loved one but not know any of the attendees. It made me cave on myself and stick to Kai only.

I received pitiful looks from his parents, especially his mum, who had slapped me and humiliated us at the last minute I was with my mum. Although that shouldn’t have been my biggest concern, I was satisfied she was suffering the guilt. She probably let me off the hook for dating Kai at that time only because she sympathised with me. The penalty was only getting delayed.

On the other hand, Massie wore a mask the whole time after she had told me her forced condolences. She was probably hiding her shame from me but not wanting to be called out for not coming. The girl looked petrified as much as me at the hurried pace of events. Everything happened in a flash; we wouldn’t expect such a weird chain of incidents either. In all honesty, I preferred she didn’t come.

It dawned on me I was left alone. Yes, I was an adult who could take care of herself, but I was never left alone. The feeling stuck in my throat like a lump that made the most straightforward task to breathe hard.

“I’m alone,” I whispered to myself, salty tears drying on my cheeks.

Kai squeezed my shoulder. “I’m never leaving your side. Ryan never will, too —heck, even Massie,” he repeated.