Part 14: It's not the watch...it's...

"well done gracious" I tried patting her head but she swatted away my hand with her rainbow tail. huh!

I looked around me to find Shikhu uncle and other villages staring at me and gracious, shocked more like horrified,rangrez sat on the ground sobbing and Bela glaring at me hard.

there was complete silence in the atmosphere, I don't know why but I disliked being the center of attention. they were looking at me as if I did something wrong.

breaking the ice,shikhu uncle asked "Mahir child why did you beat rangrez?".

"because he threw my Bela with his dirty wings" I replied huffing and puffing while gracious nodded, supporting me.

"wings?" old man examined rangrez's back " child I think you are misunderstanding, he was with me all the while"

what?

that's not possible.

wait

could not be there an impostor rangrez just like impostor Bela?

shit

I messed up.

~again.

that is why Bela was trying to stop me? otherwise, she was enough to beat him.

I looked at Bela who was busy burying me ten feet under the ground with her laser glare, I tried to smile at her but she just ignored the smile like how I ignore irritating ajitabh.

" I...i...am...sorry" I tried to smile at rangrez but he started sobbing harder.

suddenly I felt bad for him.

shikhu uncle helped up rangrez.

"I am really sorry," I said with more confidence but nothing worked,rangrez turned his face to another side, crying harder and gracious quietly slept, her posture screamed," not my problem".

" it's okay child. now you all should rest" shikhu uncle smiled politely at me and Bela . I wondered did I deserved his politeness?rangrez whined as if asking why did he forgive me so easily. villagers also left smiling, to their work.

" son there is actually one problem, we have only one room vacant. if you both can manage in the same room that's great but if you can't so Mahir dear you can stay with rangr"

"I will stay with Bela" I hurriedly said before uncle could complete his sentence.

"Okay then, follow me children" he moved forward and I glided a glaring Bela and sleeping squirrel along with me.

"call us if you need anything," he said and went away. the room had a bed made from wood and covered in a woven straw mat, two wooden chairs, and a carpet-like cloth on spread on the ground. the room was small but the dim lights from the lanterns kept in the corners of the room made it look magnificent.

I closed the door and gracious quickly jumped on of the chairs, spreading her hands and legs oh I mean her 'four legs' she relaxed on the chair, closing her eyes.

wasn't she sleeping a few seconds ago?

I glanced at Bela who was standing quietly, gazing at me.

" Bela I am sorry. i ... I am sorry for not listening to you" I tried to explain to her but her facial expressions didn't change a bit.

" Bela listen to me please," I said and moved a little closer to her but my bad luck, I slipped on the carpet thing and ended up falling on the bed above Bela.

I balanced myself on my arms so as to not crush her beneath me, she had closed her eyes in fear. her face was glowing in the magical light of lanterns, her beautiful curly locks were covering the sides of her face. she slowly opened her eyes and my breathing stopped for a second, her black shining onyx directly boring into my eyes, my heart forgot to beat .her magical eyes always took me to an unprecedented place. I was again lost in her.